Friday, October 24, 2008

Sassy and Chickory

Things are just ticking along here; I worked with Sassy again today, just tied her to the hitching rail and threw the saddle on her just like an old broke horse, then longed her and ground drove her in the bosal. She is super easy to work with; she even loped saddled today with no fuss. There's no buck in this girl. If she was a little older, she could be ridden. Can't wait! but I must! I have a young friend who weighs about as much as a feather, and I'm going to ask her if she'll do the first rides on Sassy in the early spring. That is, if I don't get her sold first. This would be one super 4H horse.

Chickory got lesson number three today in the mini round pen. I've been touching the stick to her back as she goes around, the pen is small enough that I can keep it on her all the way around; I'm trying to desensitize her to being touched. I've also been tossing the halter and leadrope over her, and today I fished it around her neck like I did with Andee. I know. I could use my lariat, but this is softer and easier to release.

We ended the lesson when she gave me one step when I pulled on the rope. This sure is an athletic filly; she did a sideways leap yesterday that covered 10 feet. She is destined to be a cutter, I'm thinking. Must be that Docs Hickory blood. After she cooled out for a bit, I took the grain pail in and got her eating out of it when I was holding it, and even let me touch her face a little with the back of my hand. I tell you, I've never had a horse like this one that is so wary of people. You'd think she was a wildy! But I can see her mind a-working , and today there was a lot of lip licking, chewing, and lowered head- in between bouts of the quickest turns and jumps! But she gave in a lot quicker today, as she figured out that all I wanted from her was to stop her feet and stand, look at me, and let me rub her with the stick. We're getting there!

2 comments:

Mikey said...

I'm doing the same thing here! Nice to see someone else is working the same way I am. I've been working on that wild mare, and trying to do things the nice way. I've been touching her with the whip (just touch, not hit) as she goes by, and throwing ropes her way. She's nutso about being touched. I come SO CLOSE to touching her with my hand and then she can't take it and moves away.
Just cool to see I'm not the only one out there working thru the touching issue.

Shirley said...

Mikey, I think building trust with this type of horse is more important than hurrying up to get them trained. I could rope her, flip her and sit on her and subdue her, but that would not gain her trust. I want this filly to be my partner,not be fearful of me. So I'm willing to take my time and work on the trust. This is going to be one phenominal mare some day; mark my words.