Saturday, October 3, 2009

Tack talk

Canadian Cowgirl did a post on tack, about how you put your tack away. I find that I put my latigo up differently from most folks; this way was taught to me by Walt Vermidahl, who has spent more years in the saddle than I've been alive. I feed the latigo through from the back to the front:
Then I pull it down a little and feed the end through the loop I just made:

Walt always did things with two objectives- safety and efficiency. This method fits the efficiency category, because you can just grab the tail of the latigo-


and pull it down and feed it through your cinch ring in one easy move, one handed. Having fed it through from the back, it releases easily.

Things are getting cooler here but I'm sure it won't last; this is just a little gift to all the hunters who were complaining about the hot dry weather.

There's snow in them thar hills; that is the Skyway pass, and the snowplows have been out there the last two days.
I took Beamer for a little ride today, carefully watched by the girls as we rode by them.

(Tess wasn't supposed to be in that picture!) Such pretty girls! Love the little tufts of red in Velvet's ears, the last remnants of the dun color she was born with. She is getting darker as her winter coat comes in.

3 comments:

Mikey said...

They ARE pretty girls. Makes me wish for a baby to play with!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

ike the way you put up your addle ,I never put the latigo through like that ,but it mskes good sense. The girls look so good . Certainly a chill in the air here as well

cdncowgirl said...

We're supposed to get a wee bit of snow tonight... not quite in the right mindset for that yet! lol

Thanks for the pics, my poor brain just wasn't quite wrapping itself around the description alone.