Sunday, July 24, 2011

Chickory- solo ride

After a hot and muggy day, and my plans to work with Rio melting away in the hot sun, it cooled off this evening and I saddled up Chickory instead. It just felt like the right time to go ride her. A little free lunging to make sure she didn't have any issues, a little riding in the round pen to make sure I had steering, brakes, and the desire to go forward, then I got off, took her out of the round pen, and snapped the long line on to the snaffle's chin strap, and had Ted walk beside us. First time riding her out of the round pen. I wanted a lead line on her because we still haven't loped yet- not going to in my round pen because of the poor footing- and I know how very bored she is in the round pen, so figured it was time to up the game a little. She did awesome, I felt really comfortable on her. We went all over the yard, through the ditch, into the pole shed, etc.Ted unsnapped the line as we rode back to the hitching rail. She was happy to just follow. Right now, all I want to do is build her confidence, and mine in the process. I really need to get that lope under our belt before I venture too far, I need to know that it won't scare her- or me. Usually, that's where it will fall apart if it is going to. I get the feeling that Chickory has been waiting for me to just hurry up and git 'er done, she's a big girl now. The plan is to haul her to a local arena to get to working on better turns and softness in the bridle, and get her comfortable at all gaits. Then we can hit the trails, if I can talk someone into riding Gussie. Woo Hoo!  I've been really looking forward to this.

9 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Looking good up there

Linda said...

You're a few steps ahead of me...paving the way! You're doing great!

cheyenne jones said...

Sounds like your doing just great! Ahead of me!
Sunny keeps looking at me!

Anonymous said...

What a good girl! You guys look great!

Janice said...

Hey Hey looking good.How come I'm not seeing a huge grin ????

Shirley said...

Janice, I couldn't stop grinning- except when the camera is pointed at me...

lisa said...

That is great! Very nice picture by the way!

Linda said...

Congrats.....it must feel SO good!

gtyyup said...

Excellent!! I do the same thing with my young ones...ride where they're familiar...and close to home!