Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ponying Rio

It was ponying time today. I took Gussie and Rio to the round pen, and when I stepped up on Gussie, Rio got a little alarmed- I think it's the first time he's seen a rider up close. He didn't want to lead, and while I could have had Gussie drag him, that wasn't what I wanted; I wanted clam, forward and willing. So I asked Ted to help by leading Rio right beside us as we went around, until he was comfortable with me above him, and would let me lean over and rub him. Then Ted passed me the lead rope, and continued to walk beside for a minute, then stepped to the center of the pen. Rio did super! Good Rio.
We went around both ways, I'd stop and Tee up and pass the rope under Gussie's neck, then head out the new direction.
I decided not to pony him out of the pen today, we'll save that for tomorrow. Getting off, I Tee up again so that Rio is in a safe place as I dismount.
He goes through the gate with good manners, after all he's been leading since he was less than a week old.
This photo will give you an idea of his size; I'm 5ft.10 and Gussie stands 15.2 hh.
It was a good day! I'm loving this colt; so is Ted. The cross of Beamer and Belle is an outstanding one.

13 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

What a great , and gorgeous boy! Breeding for temperamnet shows! and is sooo worth it

5 Starr's Farm said...

Wow, that was impressive....

Fantastyk Voyager said...

He sure is a beauty and a big boy!

Paint Girl said...

He is such a cutie! And big!! I like that!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I bet the foal says," Unchain me, I want to run free!"

Vaquerogirl said...

That an unusual colored baby! I love him! Good for you for doing things right!

Daisy said...

Not just outstandingly good looking - but also so smart and responsive. Wow! That is one nice colt!!

Linda said...

Good job!! Not all colts pony that well that fast!! Shows he has a good mind.

Unknown said...

Handsome colt, he is coming along quick!

Linda said...

That is something that is SO good to do at that age!!

gtyyup said...

I think you should be keepin' this colt for yourself ;~)

thecrazysheeplady said...

Nice colt!

Two Blondes and an Appy said...

He was just too cute as a baby Shirley!