Saturday, July 9, 2011

Working Chickory, continued

Today's lesson with Chickory I stepped it up a little. I ponied her with a saddle on,
which went well; and even got her trotting as we went across the field. 
Back at the round pen, I had Ted ride Gussie while I rode Chickory,

 the idea being that she had just spent 20 minutes following Gussie, so it would be second nature for her to follow in the round pen. Sure enough, Chickory followed nicely, and even trotted a couple of steps.
She seems to have gotten over her unwillingness to go forward, the next step is to get her comfortable at a trot. I haven't decided if I'm going to have a friend longe me or if I'll keep up with the following routine. I have a couple of days to think about it- tomorrow we have a 50th birthday party to go to so no riding until Monday.  I made the most of today though. 

Later on I rode Beamer and took the dogs with me, then I went and brought Rio in and played around with him a little. He will be three months old tomorrow, and I am sure happy with the way he is turning out. He's just a sweetheart. I introduced him to Beamer, and they had a little visit over the fence. Lots of mouthing going on!
 All in all it was a very satisfying day. Watched the chuckwagon races on TV, and was disappointed with CBC's coverage of the rodeo; they only showed the bareback and bullriding. Bah! I liked it better when CTV covered the Stampede, at least we got to see every event.

6 comments:

Mikey said...

Looks fantastic! She's coming along so nicely. What a perfect day :)

cdncowgirl said...

Well lookit you go... you're even snapping pics while on the little greenie :)

Do you get BOLD? They cover the whole Stampede.

Shirley said...

CDN -no, but I will see if I can subscribe to it.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

It is going well by the look of it, Nice that Ted was able to help you out

Crystal said...

She sure looks good! And rio, so cute!

Linda said...

I can see lots of progress going on there!