And put on your big girl panties. My helper couldn't make it today, and my husband had to go to work, so this evening, I saddled Chickory, took her to the round pen, and put the snaffle bridle on her. I longed her for a while, watching her mouth the bit. When she settled down and was paying attention to me, I stepped up and rode. Her steering leaves a lot to be desired, but that's to be expected. She went around quietly for me, and we even did a fair amount of trotting. Her whoa and back up were nice and soft. The more I work her, the less trepidation I feel at getting on a green colt. She really is a sweetheart.15 years ago, I would have been gung-ho but as I age I get more cautious. I know how easily things can come unraveled, even when you have all the basics in place. So I'm taking it slowly.
Tomorrow, more of the same, I just want to get her steering better. I might pony her too.

11 comments:
Good for you! A helmet and sometimes a safety vest can make you feel a little safer...lol
The steering will come with time :)
Hi Shirley, Good for you, but I know what you mean. My horses are to old to ride so when I do it's always someone else's horse. My Uncle is noted for having green horses (even old green horses, so when I help him with cows I
always ask "Is the horse going to heart me because it's trying of just doesn't know any better"......LOL
Sounds great! But tell me that you at the very least called someone to let them know you were out there? Please !
another lovely sunset:) the kind you want to sit on your porch, and watch with a nice hot cup tea!
Sounds like you've both got a good bit of trust going and a good foundation. That suck it up moment though, I know how that feels :) Same as you, 15 yrs ago, I WAS gung ho, lol. Time and experience and I'm a lot more cautious, lol.
It's nice when you have a good horse to work with too. Something level headed is what I like anymore, a sensible horse. I think Chickory is definitely that. As you say... ride a good horse!
I don't think I'll be that brave with the boys... if I can get one of the couple people I'm thinking of to start them when they get to the "getting on" stage I'll send them to a trainer
I think most of us horse gals were that gung ho 15 years ago, and then we got common sense. The ground is much harder now! Oh, and we don't bounce nearly as well. I ride some young horses still, but when no one else is home I call my mom to let her know I am getting on. I tell her about how long I am gonna ride, then I call her when I get off. That way if I get dumped and hurt someone will come and look for me. Have fun!
Sounds like you were prepared for not getting on if she wasnt reacting good, but she acted quiet and you made a choice, and it worked out.
Sounds like a nice girl!
Yay! You're an inspiration. She sounds like she's going to be a nice horse for you if she's doing so good already.
When I was younger I was braver because my green colt was the only horse I had to ride. Now there's no big hurry and I'm on the slow road. :/
Oh, my gosh. I feel the same way! But I have found that if I ride more frequently my confidence is increased and I begin to really enjoy it again.
I'm so glad you sucked it up and got out there. Fun... right?!
Boy isn't that the truth?
I never used to think twice about jumping on something, even if I knew it was going to try me.
Then I started riding broke horses and it ruined me. LOL
I know when Frosty was going though his deal. I would lunge him, then ride him. If it felt like he was getting to that point, I'd get off and lunge him til he relaxed and get back on.
I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get on the big bay. I don't think my foot goes that high anymore. LOL
Post a Comment