Got an email from Kristy, Velvet's new owner, and she sent some really nice photos of Velvet with her new best friend.
Pretty pair of mares! Hopefully, we will get lots of stories as they grow up together. Thanks, Kristy!
Rode Beamer today, and had a really nice ride- which was nice because when I rode him a few days ago he was a little argumentative. My plan was to saddle Gussie next, and pony Rio again. I could see Gussie at the gate , really bothered by face flies, so figured -perfect- won't have to go get her- but as soon as I got up to her I could see that she had a very fresh cut on the inside of the knee on her right front.
Warning- graphic photo coming up.
It had obviously happened within 5 minutes of me seeing it, and I have no idea how she could injure herself in a pasture that looks like this:
The fence is barbwire, with an electric fence a foot or more inside it to keep them away from the wire:
I walked all around the fenceline and could find nothing. Aside from the cut, she has two scuff marks on the outside of the leg:
One above the knee, and one on the fetlock joint. Here is what the cut looks like:
There is some swelling and heat along the cannon bone and as you can see, she doesn't want to put a lot of weight on it. I cold hosed her, gave her a tetanus shot, and put a bandage on with Dynamite Wound Balm supplemented by some Young Living oils. When I first saw it, I thought maybe she was rolling to get away from the flies, and clipped herself with either a hind foot, or her other front leg when she was getting up. But that doesn't really explain the scuffs on the outside of the leg. And if she had managed to get her leg through the barbwire, it still doesn't explain the scuffs. It's a mystery to me. At any rate, I'll be doctoring her twice a day and I won't be riding her for a while, so I'll come up with other things for Rio to do other than ponying. And Chickory will get more time too.
Speaking of Chickory, any bets that Gussie's bandage will still be on by morning?
Edited to add:
Decided to give Gussie a shot of long acting penicillin. The cut itself is just the skin, but there is a lot of trauma to the leg. It's evening now, and she still favors the leg so I built her a corral panel stall under the shelter (thunderstorms going on) because I don't want the other horses pestering her if she manages to lie down- probably won't, as she doesn't really like to bend that leg. But I gave her some nice deep straw. The bandage only lasted a couple of hours then slid down; pretty hard to wrap a knee. Since it isn't a deep cut, I'll just leave it unwrapped. Early tomorrow before I go to work, I'll cold hose it again, and leave her in the stall for the day. Poor girl! I hate to see my horses hurting.





13 comments:
Oh my! glad you were there to doctor it. Wonder what happened?
Shoot that's a bummer. Thank goodness it doesn't look like anything too serious. You never know what might work its way up through the ground. Might be a good idea to give the pasture a walk through.
Good idea with the figure 8 bandage fernvalley!
Poor Gussie! But we all know mamma will take good care of her!
is it possible there are a few wild animals around that could attack her? just wondering. any young hooligans around?
No Michele, no wild critters or hooligans. This happened in the few minutes between me riding alongside the mare pasture, and riding Beamer into the yard and unsaddling, then going to get Gussie.
I'm with you...I hate to see my horses hurting, too. That doesn't look too bad in the pictures though.
I'm with Sherry, they can and do get hurt when there is nothing there.....or so it would seem.
That is realy weird, I hope she healsup fast and uneventful. Gremlins, I blame the horse Gremlins.
As you well know, they'll hurt themselves in a padded stall...but you're probably right on the flailing hooves...that's a good possibility. Glad she's on the mend...it's a long way from the heart~
Hope she heals up well, and Velvet looks magnificient! What a beautiful lady..:-))
Wise to leave it un-bandaged, the air will do it good - did you have something to smear it with for flies? Looks like she can put some pressure on it...good call all the way around - Id let you doctor my horse anyday!
and i bet she loves herself some cold hose with all the summer weather! - Hope she heals soon with no fuss :)
yes, i know how you feel about your horses hurting! hopefully the leg heals quickly and with no after effects.
- The Equestrian Vagabond
Post a Comment