Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Smoke? what smoke?

The wind that blew the smoke in yesterday, apparently blew it right back out again. I was delighted to see beautiful blue skies this morning,
with not a hint of the lung-clogging smoke that was here yesterday. I often wonder how badly air pollution affects the horses. Both Beamer and Gussie have a chronic cough, usually from hay.
I was reflecting a bit on herd dynamics this morning; when I bring the mares in from pasture, they all head to the hay feeder, and always stand in the exact same order:
Then when I turn them out,Gussie and Chickory just have to eat from the same spot - not like there isn't a few acres to choose from!
Coyote Belle wanders off to find the best spot, she is the alpha mare, so I think she just expects her minions to follow.
There's a little dog dynamics going on too- Reba knows that it's her job to monitor the herd and keep on the far side of them, while Tess is ever ready to do my bidding... even if there isn't any bidding forthcoming.

7 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Glad the smoke is gone. Funny about the horses in the same order cows will do the same thing in stanchions for milking if one gets in the wrong spot they figure it out quickly and trade fascinating. I love your Border Collies I miss mine. B

cheyenne jones said...

Wonderful stuff, that wee dog has got it sussed! (He`s in charge!)

Crystal said...

Herd Dynamics are always interesting to me too, I like watching them interact.

Glad the smoke is gone so much prettier with the blue sky background.

Michele said...

cute post shirley :) especially about tess:)

Montanagirl said...

Nice post! I'm just like those horses - I have "my" spot at the table, no matter who stops in for coffee!! LOL

lisa said...

I love the shot of the horses moonin us ;) Glad the smoke has gone.

Ed said...

Great shots and a super pooch..:-)