Sunday, February 2, 2014

Meet the pups

The pups have kept me busy, so cute I have to keep checking on them and visiting Tess; I keep them in a room off the kitchen that houses the wood stove; kind of a mud room. I have it barricaded to keep Reba and Merle out, but Tess can still feel like part of the group and keep an eye on me.
Isn't this photo so cute with the heart shape they make?

They are pretty active for only being 2 days old, lots of squirming and wiggling in between bouts of feeding and sleeping. Tess, of course, is a really good mama.


I have names for all but 2 of them. This is Diva, one of the females. She was quite certain that her first priority in life was to find food - very determined!  Update- her name has been changed to Ruby, she lost the 'tude and now is just sweet and cuddly!

This one is called Chase, he has the most white including racing stripes up his hind legs, just like his mama.

Here is Cinch.

This boy is Quinn, he was the firstborn.

This little guy has the most black, this is Nick.

 This is Try, I named him that because he had to fight for life. He was the 9th pup, and was breathing through his mouth in big gasps. I sucked the mucus out of his nose, and worked on him until he figured out he could breath through his nose and drink milk at the same time. He's a fighter! Just as vigorous as all the rest of the pups now.

 This one is Rope, he was the first pup Shayla ever saw born, so I let her name him. He's named after one of her favourite border collies.

The next two are unnamed; this is the male, Update! I like the name Lytha suggested, this is Tag!

and the female. 
Fire away with your name suggestions for these two!

18 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Arrow for the male, his white markings look like arrows!

The female..maybe Scarlet...something romantic!

They all look wonderful! So healthy! All shiny and puppy smelling too I bet.
A long time ago I raised Sheltand Sheepdogs, our girls were teenagers and those births they will never forget. One winter we had what we called Puppy TV every evening we would get them all out on a blanket and let them crawl around. All the handling made them really nice pups. I had a special whelping crate made so that the cats could not disturb the Mom and pups and then we graduated the pups to a play pen easy to clean and we just let Mom in and out as needed:)

Janice said...

I can't wait to come for a visit so I can get my fill of puppy breath.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

very sweet! and I love the names. Is the unnamed female a bit brown? or is it just the picture?if she is what about Auburn? And the little guy , Flash, for the white flash on his head

lytha said...

oh, i wanna play!

Hawk - my friend has a BC mix she named Hawk after Steven Hawking because the dog is so smart

Nils - my next door neighbor (teenager)

Flint - my favorite BC, a regal dog, mostly white

Kip - another favorite BC, mostly black, he bit people but loved me: )

Pris - movie character

Rand - book character

Bet - what people call me in Germany cuz they can't say my name

Tag - just sounds nice for a dog

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Shirley they are beautiful I love Diva that is the first thing I would do too:) You are doing great with the names this should be easy for you. Great shots. Hug B

Shirley said...

The brown is just from the flash on my little camera. I'll try to get a better photo with my big camera today and replace that one.

Michele said...

Can't wait to see them with their eyes open! That is what, 11 days?

Michele said...

The un-named female is my favorite. :)

lisa said...

Oh my, they are sooooo cute! I watched animal planet all day yesterday, they had Too Cute on and they did all kinds of different breed puppies. I loved it. They are so darn cute when they are pups.

Janice said...

Love that header shot!!!!!!you should keep that one up for awhile. Great shot ....of course it doesn't hurt that The Man is the main feature. I see now where Jazz gets her always shiny.... shine from.

Shirley said...

Lytha- you picked a good one- the male is now named Tag- thanks! Also, we changed the name of Diva to Ruby.

CDH said...

So sweet. I like the one with the back spot on his forehead. How sweet. How much fun they will be when they are a few weeks old!
What a good mama Tess is.

Montanagirl said...

Gorgeous Header!! Love it. The pups are just so adorable, and they have some really great names. Oh, and I love the "heart" too!

Kurious Kim said...

I'm a bit biased...but how about Sadie for the female? Lovely header, by the way!

Shirley said...

LOL Kim! Actually, two people have spoken for the female, so whichever one gets her can name her.

Dreaming said...

Sweet! Thanks for such a fabulous picture-ful post!

ninergirl04 said...

I used to own a wonderful Irish Setter named "Follie". Another great, strong name is "Hannah". :-)

Kalin said...

Oh so sweet!! Makes me want a puppy!