Saturday, February 1, 2014

What a week!

Where to begin! Well lets start with the horse stuff, because this is a horse blog after all, and then we will segue into the dog stuff.
After last week, and studying and puzzling about Rio and all the stuff going on in his noggin, Tara , Shayla and I pieced it together that Rio would like to be an English Horse.Where he got this notion I have no idea, I'm pretty sure he has never seen a horse in English gear ever! But since he was a foal, he has always had that elegance and proud carriage about him, and I always though he would make a lovely English horse. At play time, he doesn't run and buck and fart like all the others, he just lifts his tail and swings it side to side as he floats across the ground in that big trot of his. It took me 2 years of photographing him to get that all-4-off-the-ground shot a while back!
So- we had a friend who rides English take him for a test ride at the indoor arena. And we have the video that should prove our point.




*Sigh* I don't ride English....
... he looks darn good in English gear.....
Meanwhile, we have come to the conclusion that we need to change the focus for this horse's training this year to a lot of miles on the trails, some exercises thrown in to keep him from thinking that he is on vacation, including some of the things they do in English training, and a possible future in Western Dressage.
I'll think about it!"
Now! On to the fun stuff! Yesterday morning around 5 AM Tess decided it was time for whelping.
I phoned Shayla, as she wanted to be here for the birthing, and over the next 4 hours, 10 pups were born- unfortunately, the last one was still born. So we have 7 males and 2 females. I was really hoping for more females. But they are all darn cute!

Here are the females:
I have to recharge my camera battery (imagine that!) but once I do I'll post more individual photos. 6 of the males are for sale.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Puppies!!!! Adorable - love the last pic!

On Rio - I noted in the earlier videos that he has very nice natural carriage and also a lot of impulsion and elevation in his trot - all of which would do very well in dressage. Just be careful, at his young age, not to ask for too much engagement or collection - it could damage his joints or make him sore. Your plan for lots of forward trail miles is a good one.

cheyenne jones said...

Well! That was a really enlightening video. Kate is right. However, I feel that, and I am just a learner, Rio has something that will come on at a later stage, he doe not perhaps feel he is ready yet, for too much arena work. Trail miles is perhaps what he needs, and allowing that mind to become "older".

Mrs. Mom said...

That colt is breathtaking. Sounds like a good plan for his next year :) And da baby puppies!! *squee*!!!! Tess outdid herself!!!!!!!!

Janice Grinyer said...

Oh...in that first video towards the end - she lifted him up and he really got light in his front end - that was lovely!!! Hes built a little downhill as most quarter horses are :) but he really responded and started to work from behind (the engine! lol)SO yes, hes young but he gets what she's asking for - very gorgeous and hes brainy too! I agree with the others about too much mental and physical pressure - most grand prix dressage horses (the best) are in the very early teens when they peak...I would most definitely say if youre not going to go Huntseat with him, there is a future in western dressage for him - hes smart!

Janice Grinyer said...

And oh the puppies! i got so entranced i forgot Tess's puppies!!!

NINE?

Tess, you are such an overachiever :)

Congrats!

Shirley said...

Thanks everyone! It has been a real journey figuring out this horse. Feral- his great grandsire had an arena ROM in Hunter Under Saddle, so it's in his genetic makeup to do this. He is still growing so that downhill will become uphill in a couple of years.
Kate, we find that if we ask too much from him he lets us know, that's why we are backing off and just taking it easy on him - he is still pretty young and while some quarter horses can take it as a 3 yr old, Rio is what I call a late bloomer both mentally and physically so we just need to back off and go easy on him this year, hard to do when he looks so mature!

smazourek said...

Wow, Rio looks sharp! Not to mention a lot like his daddy :) You could easily train him as a double threat- english and western dressage.

CDH said...

No matter what direction Rio goes he will do it wonderfully. He is such a beautiful horse.
OMG!!! 9 puppies....How cute..Cant wait to see the grow.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Rio really is a lovely mover, and long trails keeping him moving out well will do him a world of good English or western!
Those puppies are sooo sweet!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am in love with all those pups! They all look great. Sorry you lost one..that is hard. NINE wow Tess you are quite a gal! Doesn't look like you have a runt in the litter either. What fun!!!

I was impressed with Rio..he is a smoothie. So are you going to learn to ride English? Sometimes animals will tell us what they want... if we just listen and you gals all did great at listening to Rio..so I am glad you have a plan:)

Montanagirl said...

Rio carries himself nicely - so beautiful. And those puppies are just so sweet.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Awwww, that last photo is PRICELESS!

Janice said...

Aw Tess what a good Mama. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how good Rio looks in English gear....I think that horse can do anything, I like the sound of Western Dressage but like I said...anything.

ninergirl04 said...

Ms. Shirley, check out the Cowboy Dressage site of Mr. Eitan (known as "Eight") Beth Halachmy. "Where Dressage Suits Your Needs But a Stetson Fits Your Lifestyle".

http://www.cowboydressage.com/

Also on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/eitanbethhalachmy

You may already be aware of these but thought I'd mention them. :-)

Keechy said...

Congratulations! Gee those BC pups are much easier to tell apart than a litter of black Labs like we have. :)

Shirley said...

ninergirl- yes, I'm a big fan of cowboy dressage, and that is probably the direction we will go rather than Western Dressage.

Ed said...

WOW! 9 pups is excellent but a bit taxing on Tess, from the future posts looks like she and the pups are doing great and cute as heck..:-)