Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Making of a trail horse

Mesa training Day 9

I like to mix it up a little and keep things interesting for the young 'uns. Today's something new was taking her for a walk down to the dyke, where she got her first glimpse of the river.


The sound of it quite intrigued her.


We walked a little further and then headed down the bank to go back.


She did so good! The only issue I have so far with her is that when she isn't sure about something she tends to crowd me. I'm working on getting her to respect my space, I am making progress but when she is not sure about something she is glued to me!
Once we got back to the barnyard, I took her into the round pen and we did our review session- the tarp. 

This li'l horse just gives me a happy! 

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

She is a beauty! :)

Linda said...

I’ve always said that walking your horses is so underrated. My neighbor saw me walking one and said, hey, I would have thought you’d be riding that horse bareback across there... What do you say to that? I just laughed. I love walking my horses. The first colt I raised and trained in the 80s—that’s all I could do for two years. Just like you and Mesa. By the time we started going out on trails he was golden. There was nothing that horse wouldn’t try for me. So I believe it is the greatest training tool. Plus, it’s good exercise for us and it’s so fun to explore the world with them!! I start every session out with a walk. I read an article about how horses need to walk for 15 minutes before they’re put to work. So, I’m considering it a warm up. It makes the ride much better in many ways.

aurora said...

We went on walkabouts with our boys frequently when they were younger. It's valuable and a good thing all the way around!