Thursday, February 10, 2011

Let's go for a ride

After work today it was nice and sunny, so I took Beamer and the dogs around the hayfield. The snow was really crunchy underfoot, and every step Beamer took he'd break through the crust, so no trotting today. It was so nice and relaxing just me'n' my dogs and horse; all the world was right.
I also worked Velvet again. This time I took my 15 ft. longe line and draped it over her to let her get used to things dragging around her legs, so that in the future if something happens and she is dragging a rein or lead rope that she won't run off in fear of whatever is dragging. Conversely, it also helps in teaching ground tying. In true diva style she wasn't too pleased at first, but all she did was walk around giving the dragging line the stink eye, till she realized it wasn't going to eat her, then she was fine. When I saddled her and longed her again, she was like an old pro. I put weight in the stirrups with my arms, and jumped up and down beside her- didn't bat an eye. She is ready for someone to step up and down in the stirrups. This filly is going to be fun to train, but it will be important not to push her too far too fast just because she is willing.
Can't wait for tomorrow!

10 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

Our weather seems to be turning around so with any luck I'll be getting some horseback time too!

Anonymous said...

Good progress with Velvet. I've never started a young one, but I do use ground driving from time to time and find it very useful. Glad you got in a ride on your beautiful boy!

lisa said...

Nice to be able to ride. It has been pretty darn cold here! Lots of snow too! I would only be able to ride in the pasture as the open fields are like 13 feet deep of snow!! Yuck. Good to hear that Velvet is doing good in her training!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Sounds like you're making good progress with Velvet. How old is she now, BTW?

Shirley said...

FV, she is 2 this year. Her actual birthday is April 27. I do ground work in the spring of their 2 yr. old year, and a few rides on them in the summer and fall. Last year, Chickory was 2; I put 9 rides on her. This year, Chickory will get quite a bit of riding. With Velvet, I'm just trying to put some basics on her for her prospective owner.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Nice day for a ride , Velvet seems to be comong along so well

gtyyup said...

Thanks for the ride!!! Wish I was ridin' beside ya! Beamer has a really nice stride. Great work w/Velvet too...yea, just because she's willin' doesn't mean they're always ready.

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

wheeeee! go beamer go!
The Equestrian Vagabond

Gail said...

I keep forgetting to say how much I love your header.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I just love Beamer. Great video.