
I finally got around to putting a leather hobble on my snaffle bridle last night; it was rather embarrassing to see how ugly that baling twine looked in Sassy's photos! This bridle is my main using bridle for my young horses. It sports a Don Dodge snaffle that has been on many a youngster. The reins are heavy harness leather, 8 ft. long. I like the weight of them as it makes it easier to slide them through your hands when you need to lengthen or shorten. I won these reins in barrel racing at the year-end awards for our riding club, 23 years ago. I keep them and all my tack in good condition, using only Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner. The only thing I would like to change about this outfit is the Chicago screws in the headstall; I much prefer laced or buckle ends. However, I put a little nail polish on these ones to discourage them from loosening off. I have a headstall for every bit that I use 'cause I'm too lazy to change everything over when I need to use a different bit.

This is my Brian Ironmonger saddle, and the "Oregon Twist" setup for the stirrups. The top of the fender has one piece of leather sewn to it, with the holes punched in. The piece attached to the bottom of the fender is double layered for strength, and wrapped to hold the twist in place. (I pulled this wide to show the setup, normally everything lays flat.) You can see how nicely the stirrups hang in just the right position. This is an easy modification to do on any saddle and it really is worth it if you hate trying to find that off side stirrup when you mount!
3 comments:
That beats the old broom handle trick huh?
Isn't that great to be riding with the same pair of reins that long...and they have so much sentimental value!! Very cool!!
I totally agree on the "twist" in the stirrup leathers...my saddle maker Clay Sharp called it a "Hamley twist" but of course Hamley was made in Oregon...so I guess it's the same difference...it does the job that's for sure!
I always wondered why it's called the Oregon Twist. Guess it makes sense if Hamleys started it Here is a link to their website:http://www.hamleyco.com/aboutHistory.htm
Post a Comment