Until I started riding bareback this week, I had no idea of just how bad my balance is. Tom Dorrance said the three most important things are feel, timing, and balance. Well, over the last few years, I've developed feel, and I've been working hard on my timing, but never realised how my balance was affecting my horse until today. Of course, I know that balance affects your horse's performance, but what I'm saying is
how it affects the way your horse responds to you. The slightest bit off balance, and Beamer's ears turn back to me;
Whatcha doin' up there? And then I can feel him trying to get back underneath me, which, under saddle, would feel like just a hitch in his way of going, but bareback it's magnified and turns into a hitch in
my way of going- like going to hit the ground if I don't get back in balance! I have the greatest respect for those who can ride confidently bareback, and my hat's off to Stacy Westfall and all those others who can perform a reining pattern, or a jumping course, or even gymkhana events, bareback. I've been doing a lot of trotting, spins and rollbacks, but don't have the balance yet to try the lope. Another thing I've noticed is how I use my legs. I find it's easier to hold my legs in the correct position bareback- mostly because I'm more aware of them. What a difference it makes in my ability to keep in balance when I use my legs correctly. I hope this improves my riding when I'm back in the saddle, it sure has given me a lot to think about and practise.
Thanks Beamer, my teacher!
No problem; I'll keep an eye on you!
4 comments:
lol! That eye sure is watching. I fell a close scrutiny. lol!
Excellent post. I truly enjoyed and it got me to thinking of my own balance issues. I will have to work on them as I get back onto a horse's back one day.
Have a great weekend,
~Lisa
Great post, something I really need to work on, according to my daughter who rides bareback all the time and prefers it over a saddle!
PS I love the picture!
Thanks, ladies. I was talking to Janice over at Own a Morgan, and she said that when I get back to saddle riding, I should ride bareback a couple times a week; that'd keep me honest!
Good horse you have there ,I have known a few that if they felt me of balance they would get out from under me not help me stay on! I haven't sat barback in a long while , might need to try again
Post a Comment