Monday, April 25, 2011

Blog design

I have a question or two for all you computer savvy folks. When I add photos to my sidebar, is there any way to make them smaller? I've tried resizing the photos, but they still come up the same width; if you look at the one I just put up of Rio, you'll see that it's much bigger than the ones I put up of Midnight Coyote and Sparkle N Peppy. I'm using the advanced editor option.  I'd like the photos to be a lot smaller like the older ones, then my sidebar doesn't have to be so wide. Also, I'd like to add pages along the top of my blog, like I've seen on a lot of blogs, but the only thing I can get there is the "Home" page. Help, please!

13 comments:

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

shirley to make pages, go to dashboard, design, posting, edit pages. to add photos on the side go to dashboard, design, add a gadget, scroll down and find 'photo'. now here's the clincher...i don't know the size of those smaller photos...find their source and see the size and resize your larger ones to match. did you click 'shrink to fit' on the old ones or not...don't go into template designer to add your pics...maybe that is the problem? hard to tell unless i can get into the back of the blog and see the html or css.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I do know how to ad pages but it looks like Krittet Keeper has you covered , the sidebar pics I added as gadjets as well

Unknown said...

To add pages, go to the Dashboard, click posting, then click new page - you can create up to 10 pages.

I found this link helpful:
http://buzz.blogger.com/2010/02/create-pages-in-blogger.html

Shirley said...

Thanks ladies, for helping me get the pages thing figured out. But the photo thing- that is the way I do it, I even resized the same as the smaller photos, but it didn't help.

Michele said...

well then, you need to talk to frank! he can re size anything to fit! :D he does it for me all the time! :D

Michele said...

frank uses his preview application with mac.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Shirley, this may sound stupid, but restart your computer , I recall trying to redo my header and getting nothing but headaches . Restarted and completley logged off blogger overnight and the next day , poof! it all worked fine. That may have just been dumb luck but...

Linda said...

I agree with that--sometimes blogger has a bad day. :/ Resizing them on your own computer and uploading should have fixed the problem in real people world--in cyber/computer world...there are different realities at work of which I know not.

5 Starr's Farm said...

I Shirley, I have the photo thing happen from time to time? What I have done is to remove the picture and reload it, that usually works, but if you look at my sidebar my first three photos are smaller? I keep thinking maybe it has to do with my camera setting when I took the photo? also I would like to have my main photos big like yours but can't get them big....my blog looks the way it doe's because thats what works...LOL "GOOD LUCK"

lisa said...

I sure am not computer savvy either and it usually takes me for e v e r to figure out how to do something and I get so frustrated I will give up for a while and come back to it again later!

Dreaming said...

I don't know if it will work with the sidebar pictures, but if you can get access to the HTML code you can resize the pictures. Some place in the code you might see: height ="280" or width ="350". I play around with the numbers until it gets to the size I want.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks like you got some good advice from everyone. I hope you find a solution, I don't have photos in my sidebar..but Dreaming is right it may be in the HTML code..if you mess with it ..remember your old settings..jot them down:)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Dreaming is right on.
To do anything detailed to your blog, like resizing photos to fit, you'll want to choose the option to 'Edit HTML'. That's what I have to whenever I want to resize my photos, sidebar and center posting area. The Template Designer is very limited in what it allows you to do.
Thankfully there is the option to manually manipulate the html code.

Good luck,
~Lisa