Anybody out there use ivermectin to deworm their horses? You might want to read this.
I'm still looking for an alternative to chemical wormers, using products available in Canada. Anyone have any ideas?
Edited to add the links provided by commenters:
Wrm Clear by Equiopathics
Alpha Omega Para X
12 comments:
I knew ivermectin is dangerous around dogs, however I wasn't sure about how long it would contaminate the poo. Thank you so much for posting this! Tucker is a poo eater and this has been on my mind. I'll have to be extra careful deworming.
Oh and I haven't used it myself but since you're looking for that alternative check into Para-X by Omega Alpha. Here's their link:
http://omegaalphaequine.com/products-para-x.php
OMG - I also knew that ivermectin can be fatal in dogs in large quantities. I had heard to be careful about disposing of used worming tubes. But I never thought about the horse poop. My guys were wormed on Sunday (with ivermectin) and Tucker goes out to help me clean up each morning. He's OK... guess he didn't care to indulge, or didn't indulge enough! He's staying out of the paddock for a while!
A few years ago our then aussie had trouble walking. He acted drunk. This happened twice. We thought he had a bad seizure that had 'cooked his brain'. It turned out he ate deer poop from deer that had eaten azaleas. Azaleas are toxic to dogs! Go figure!
Cdn- thanks for the link!
Dreaming- it's amazing how much toxicity there is in poop. Think of all the things we put in our own bodies that goes into the ecosystem- thanks to big pharmaceutical companies that really don't care- it's no wonder rivers and fish are polluted.
No idea , but do keep us updated on what you find out
Wow--that's scary. Thanks for getting this information out! I wish there was an alternative.
Yep, I surely did know that. I'm worming with Strongid C feed thru this week, and I need to ask the vet about that. It always makes me nervous that they will get it in the horse poop (also why I don't use horse manure for gardens here)
Good post though, people should know this info.
Para X http://www.omegaalphaequine.com/products-para-x.php
I've used it a few years now and I always get fecal samples done. The vet around here was using it on horses who appeared to be affected with the wormer resistant parasites and it knocked everything off. My guys love it they come running when I pull the syringe out, especially pony who actually bit the end of the syringe off in his excitement once.
Our vets always warn users of Invermectin, about the possible outcome for dogs.
However, some years ago, our friends dog got hold of a full tube of that wormer. Obviously thwe dog thought it was good fun. But it had fatal consequences.
I've always made sure to pick up any dropped gobs, put the tube back in the box and dispose of it immediately. The thought of contaminated poop has crossed my mind, but only fleetingly. I thought I might be being a bit paranoid, except the one time I saw actual worms in one of the horse's poop. That I immediately picked up and disposed of, so the dogs wouldn't mess with it.
I have used Lampley's Basic Mineral as a natural dewormer for several years now. I was only deworming 2x's a year with Ivomectrin because it did not seem to kill the bots. I think it helps between dewormings, but don't think it actually deworms (even when fed like they tell you to to deworm).
So I would be interested to know what your experience is with other non-chemical dewormers when you try something.
Wow, that I did not know, I actually hate worming the horses hate the stuff and you practically have to wrestle with them to get them to take it, even when I use molasses on the tip of the tube.
i didnt know that about the poo either and am going to post that on facebook today! thank you so much for sharing! i like the first natural dewormer in that the ingredients were understandable and explained. now i am going to look up each of those essential oils. i use ivermectin gold spring and fall with rotation of other dewormers in between. the ponies don't get worms. the vets now are saying to back off that strategy and get a fecal test done before deworming which i totally disagree with...my horse is older and i do not want worms compromising her intestines in the adult stage...wondering if anyone elses vet is suggesting that?
Wow...sure does make sense..scary.
Before I moved to boarding stables that had policies on worming, doing it all at once, I used a natural wormer first 10 days of every month. The fecals tested out whig the vet. I'll get the name of the product for you...and it looks as though some otters have some good advise for alternatives too.
Thanks for the sincere words about our blessed outcome to a terribly scary event! God was with us ~
And yesterday, your beautiful pin came to me! Its so cool being multi colored metal. I love it! Thank you again, it lifted my spirits!
Post a Comment