Tuesday, April 12, 2011

First turn out and a name

I'm so proud of my little guy, he is a smart little fellow. Today was so nice and sunny that I decided it was time for mama and baby to get out and stretch their legs.That meant getting baby across the muddy pen over to the turnout field that I usually have Beamer in; I had already turned Gussie and Chickory out in the mare pasture which is across the farmyard from their pen.  I put the halters on him and mama, and cajoled him along until we got to the pasture.
He had a blast, following mama around- and Belle was really happy to get out and stretch her legs; I bet she was reveling in how light she feels now that she isn't packing all that weight around!
They did quite a few laps, and I could see that baby was getting tired, so I haltered Belle, and let her quiet down and graze so baby could catch his breath.
He always sticks his tongue out- it looks so funny! He also learned all about muddy little creeks- the kind Beamer hates:
Finally it was time to bring them in, and danged if he didn't lead quite well; he had figured out that he has to follow mama, so it made it easy to get him to lead; not bad for his first time out, as you'll see at the end of the video.
I finally found the right name for  this little fellow; keeping in mind that Coyote Belle's sire is a grandson of Diamond's Sparkle, the dam of the great Shining Spark, and Beamer's grandsire is Mr. San Peppy, this foal will be registered as Diamond Rio Peppy; barn name Rio.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful name for such a lovely foal - glad he and mom had a good outing!

Rachel said...

As he conquered his own little muddy river today... "Rio" is perfect. :)

Susan said...

Thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures of some of Rio's firsts.

IanH said...

Nice pictures and a good looking little guy!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Love the name choice ! He is gonna be quite the looker!Already is matter of fact!

Michele said...

that rio is a cute little chap! :) him sticking his tongue out is so funny:) what a little gem he is! belle looked lke she had a blast:)

cheyenne jones said...

Coming along very nicely. Looks like good potential there.

Anonymous said...

Love the name "Rio", he did really well on his first time out and he handled that water hazard very well. :)

lisa said...

I love his name! He is going to be handsome fellow when he grows up!

gtyyup said...

That's a great name! He is so cute...ya gotta be super proud of this one!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

So cute! Getting used to water really fast!

Janice Grinyer said...

Excellent name!