Rio's lesson went much better today. He thought of refusing to walk up to the hitching rail, but not for long. He gave one half hearted set back- no squealing!- and then stood there like a good boy, with a much better expression than yesterday.
I brushed him and fussed with him, and you could see a couple of times he was thinking of leaving, but he didn't test the lead rope, until when I went to untie him, and he set back a little bit- which, of course, meant that he had to stand tied a little longer. I bet tomorrow he doesn't even try. I was wondering if he would still come up to me in the pasture, but I guess I'm forgiven, because he still comes right up for his scratchings.
The pasture here was rented out to a fellow with horned Herefords, and he brought them in today- just when I was about to ride, so I had to put that on hold. I was planning to ride Gussie and teach Chickory to pony in the round pen, but there was too much commotion for that. It's nice to see cows back, and Beamer thought so too; he was racing around and kicking up his heels when he saw them, and when they went up by his fence he hung out with them.
They look like a nice bunch of cows. They said the bull is quiet and easy to handle, so that's a good thing.
So hopefully tomorrow I'll get my riding in. See you all for Sunday Stills!



2 comments:
Good boy Rio! He's just so dang cute! Sorry your ride was nixed.
Rio seems to being pretty good with the whole thing.
Always nice to hear the moo cows isn't it? It's a beautiful scene in the last photo.
Post a Comment