Monday, June 13, 2011

South and west

A while ago, our Sunday Stills challenge was to shoot all 4 points of the compass, with the idea that in shooting one direction, you might miss something interesting going on in another direction. These 2 photos are a case in point:

 I was shooting the amazing ray of light to the west, where the sun was pouring through a rain cloud and the whole scene looked black and white, then turned around to see  this:

The sun was highlighting a snowy peak through the clouds. Two different worlds!

12 comments:

Tom in Vegas said...

Really nice pics! I kinda like the one with the ominous clouds more. It seems to have more going on in it, although it's a win/ win situation when you have vistas like the ones shown in both pics.

Boss Mare Eventing said...

That's really something!

Shirley said...

Thanks!

Linda said...

I like that assignment. It does make you think outside the box. I want to try it tomorrow.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

May be some people do jump the ferry.

In the river where I was born, where ocean going ships could dock 90 miles upstream.

We had a ferry, people were lax, we were supposed to get out of the car before Dad drove on to the ferry, some people didn't bother.

One dusk, a family drove to the ramp just as the ferry was sailing. The man drove into the river, when people tried in vain, a whole family was drowned.

Anonymous said...

it's good to see you are still setting yourself goals
nice photos

lisa said...

Awesome! That top picture is just great.

Crystal said...

Those are cool pics! I took some kinda like that the other day as well, we had a thunderstorm to the north and sky was black and rainy and I turned south and the sun was shinning!

aurora said...

Love the first picture, that is some light ray!

Linda said...

I've often thought that one could take a sky pic a day and always have something unique in every one.

Ed said...

Beautiful shots, looks like ya got the same storm as Linda over at Just another Day..:-))

gtyyup said...

That first shot is really awesome! Well done!