Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Stills

The birds and the bees (or other bugs) ..... with rainy days there aren't a lot of bugs visible, especially bees, but I did get one:
The bugs are doing a lot of damage to my peach trees, there will be no fruit this year again.

There aren't too many species of birds here that I could capture in my limited time between rain showers, but there are lots of cowbirds here, and I find it fascinating to watch them hanging around the horses, even scooting under their bellies. The horses pay them no attention, even inches from their faces or legs as they graze.
This bird with the yellow/brown head kept strutting around with his head straight up, bossing the other ones around- I think hes the male trying to impress the ladies.

Rio didn't seem too concerned at all. He still has to stand straddle-legged to reach the short grass, but he is growing into himself.

15 comments:

cheyenne jones said...

Love that "Rio"!............

Gail said...

When I saw the first picture, I thought, when did I take that of Magic? That is my pinto from the Doc Bar line.

I enjoy watching young foals when they still have to eat like this, pure beauty.

Bugs are terribly bad this year here.

Ed said...

Great shots, the Cowbirds are there to pick bugs out of the poo..:-)

lisa said...

Sorry to hear about your trees! We get lots of the cow birds too! Great pictures!

Crystal said...

we have lots of cowbirds too, all over. Like the pic of Rio, he sure is a nice looking boy!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cool photos..sorry about your peach tree it may be a gonner:(

Margaret said...

Yes, this northern girls is just starting to become used to the summer heat of the south ... and the bugs. Everything looks so green in your photos - we could use some rain! Love the leg shot below in "Wordless Wednesday" - it is a fun perspective.

Anonymous said...

Love seeing Rio. :) Sorry to see the peach trees so distressed. Cowbirds were a commmon site in Texas, although they were white. Great shots all.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

You don't spray your fuit trees?

allhorsestuff said...

Drat the bugs!
loved that male birdie, impressing the ladies..cool shot!
All Good for between rains!

Shirley said...

I spray with insecticidal soap- no chemicals.

Michelle said...

Those birds are so cute (and brave)! I'm always amazed by the cattle egrets that hang around down here, but these tiny little birds are even cuter!
Michelle
http://www.fromthehorsesback.com

Jenn said...

What bug does that to the peach trees? Mine looks exactly the same, no fruit, but I haven't seen any bugs and I did spray this spring.

Anonymous said...

I love how you were able to incorporate the horses in your fly and bird photos! Very cool!

thecrazysheeplady said...

We have no peaches either this year. They are on there - loaded - but the stone fruit rot is already overtaking everything :-(.