The cats had come over to investigate the mole hole and didn't even see him.
Can you see him, just to the left of the dry leaf?
I got the carrots and beets done, now all that's left in the garden is onions, tomatoes and cucumbers, and the strawberries. I'm going to have to give away some of the strawberry plants next spring, they are really starting to take over.
Hunting season is in full swing here, and yesterday I heard the unmistakable twang of barb wire fence being stretched by some weighty animal trying to jump it. Now, deer can clear fence like a Grand Prix jumper, so this had to be some of those fence-wrecking elk; sure enough, there were a bunch that had been spooked by a hunter and had come out on the hay pasture that I ride on. I guess they have been feeding on the cattle corn that my neighbor is growing. I grabbed my camera and zoomed in as much as I could and managed a few shots, although if I had my hunting license the "shots" would have been with my 30-06!
I'm going to get my hunting license today, and a friend is taking me this afternoon. Not for this elk- I think he is only a 5 spike, needs to have at least 6 on one side to be legal.



15 comments:
Eww, looks likea toad. blah. but the last photo, DINNER! i hope you bag an elk this year! :)
(toads creep me out)
Great camoflage on the toad and I bet elk steaks would taste real goooood..:-))
Your toad is so cute...
Good Luck in your hunt...
Mmmmm...Elk!
I'm absolutely astounded at how berzerk my strawberry plants went this year. Those and the Primerose have completely taken over one entire corner of my garden.
Love the new header photo...Hope that hasn't been up too long. Sometimes I am negligent in noticing things like that. ;-)
Pretty nice elk, we dont see them very often around here. Much better than that toad, although he sure is camoflauged well!
A good scope would tell "legal or not"
I sure hope you can mangae to keep your fence in one piece during the hunting season, I imagine that that could be quite a challenge.
It's funny that the cats didn't notice the big toad, I thought they let off some kind of stink, maybe he didn't feel threatened, yet...
It would be nice to have some Elk in the freezer, good luck with that!
hee hee:D a stink? :D hee hee:D toads probably do stink:D which adds to their ewwww factor.
Ian, I was about 300 yards away with only my camera- this is zoomed as much as I could get it to go.
Great pics! Good luck hunting
Isn't it great to see wildlife and little critters on a daily basis? Love your photos....
Isn't it great to see all creatures, great and small, out in the wild? Good luck on your hunt.
Everytime I stop by your blog and see your header photos, I think; I want to live there. The valley, the mountains in the back, such beauty.
I was thinking the other day that trail riding must get a little dangerous in November with hunting and all. I know some areas are off limits, but I don't think that stops everyone with a gun. Kind of scary to think of my girls and I riding in the woods... The elk are gorgeous - but do they ruin a lot of fences? Too heavy to jump them?
Margaret, elk can't jump very well, they are notorious fence wreckers.Hunting season starts Sept.10 here. I don't ride the bush much in the fall, but if I do I usually wear very bright colors.
Post a Comment