Thursday, September 8, 2011

Happy birthday Reba!

Reba turns 10 today, and she is getting her very own post to commemorate one of the best dogs I've ever owned.

I bought her when she was two months old, and she has been a good girl for me. I remember when she was still a pup I took her to a reined cowhorse show in Claresholm where she saw her first small child; she squirmed and wiggled her was up to that kid, batting her eyes all the while. The winter that she was a year and a half old, we lived in a cabin west of Rocky Mountain House and had a problem with a herd of about 50 cow elk wanting to help themselves to our horses hay; we'd sic Reba on them, and she'd go bounding through snow that was deeper than she was tall to drive the elk out of the horse pen, and wouldn't stop until every one of them had cleared gone through the fence (I spent a lot of time repairing fence, %#$%elk!)


She raised two litters for me, and is now retired from whelping duties. Two of her pups from her first litter when I bred her to That'll Do Gyp, belong to bloggers; Sage is with Janice over at Own a Morgan, and Jess is the queen of Prairie Ridge Performance Horses, over at All These Pretty Horses blog. Her second litter, sired by Quill, gave me my beloved Tess, and I get to visit with a couple of her littermate brothers from time to time.
She is always willing to work, no matter what the weather, and if I don't keep her contained, she will spend the whole day with the horses. If I can't find her, I just check where Beamer is, and she will be right with him.
She is the kind of dog that everybody loves; never in your face or pestiferous, but will sidle up to you and batt those pretty blue eyes when she wants some attention. Happy birthday, you good dog you!

17 comments:

Michele said...

and, one of my fave doggies as well!

Linda said...

What a wonderful dog! Happy Birthday, Reba!

Daisy said...

I am a huge fan of BC's!! Reba is beautiful. Great post about a great dog!

Sarah said...

what a sweet post! Happy Birthday to the girl with the pretty blue eyes! She sounds like a really awesome helper and companion!

Crystal said...

Happy Birthday Reba. glad to see she is still keeping tabs on her horse :)

Boss Mare Eventing said...

Happy Birthday Reba!! Hope you enjoy many more years in your wonderful home.

GunDiva said...

Great dogs like that are hard to find! Happy Birthday Reba!

Mikey said...

What a great dog and a blessing to have. Happy Birthday Reba!

Janice said...

Yay Reba the big 10.Aside from the fact that Reba is a likeable dog,I love her because she gave me Sage ....and Kali. Happy B Day Blue Eyes.

Dreaming said...

Happy Birthday, Reba. Wish I could go play with our horses, but my mom won't let me :(
Lots of love from Tucker

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

What a good dog. Happy Birthday Reba!

Vaquerogirl said...

Nice post!
Pestiferous! Now, you never get to use that word in a sentence...

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Happy BirthdayReba! A great and lovely dog

cdncowgirl said...

Happy Birthday beautiful Reba :)

Linda said...

Happy Birthday of a great dog!! Nice tribute Shirley.

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

Happy birthday Reba, good dog!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Birthday Reba!
Hiya Shirley just stopping by to check on you..had to go back and read about Merle..what a cutie..all 2 pounds or less of him!
I was sorry to read about Teds accident with the grinder. Hopefully he is getting along better by now..scary.
It has been a busy summer. The horses look great..gotta love that Beamer:)