I'm playing around with some options for Rio for this winter. I don't really want to keep him with the mares, and don't want to keep him by himself, so I thought I'd see if he and Beamer could get along. I put Beamer in his usual grass paddock, and Rio in the adjacent mare corral. They got to visit over the fence;
which went well; Beamer didn't try to treat him like a mare, and there was no squealing or striking. Rio did do a little running around, flagging his tail;but they both settled down quickly. This next picture makes me laugh, Beamer is realizing that he has a buddy he can actually touch:
In this one Rio is checking out daddy:
After I got back from church, I decided that they were quiet enough that I could put them in together.Rio was properly submissive as Beamer checked him out.
Then Rio galloped away, and Beamer took off like a shot after him- not just chasing him, he lit up the afterburners and got ahead of him and turned him back, the same way you will see in a working cowhorse competition where they turn the cow on the fence- man alive I've never seen Beamer move so fast!
He had to turn Rio a couple of times, till he was satisfied that he had the situation under control, then he left him alone. I think that is just typical stallion herding behavior and nothing to really worry about. I stayed with them and watched for quite a while.
Rio showed proper respect.
They got along quite well, with one exception; there is a shelter that has part of the front closed in, and Rio went in there for some shade; Beamer lost sight of him and circled the shed a few times, and when Rio didn't come out, he went in partway and pestered Rio, biting him a bit- and when I saw him starting to drop his studly parts I cracked him on the butt with the stock whip. Now those of you who have never owned a stallion don't go getting all bleeding heart on my and saying I shouldn't have done that.
After that, I separated them until I can tear off the front closure on the shelter so that Rio can't get trapped in there. Once I do that, I think this arrangement should work out well. I think Beamer will be happy to have a buddy, and as long as he behaves himself, he will.









11 comments:
Sounds like it will go well, glad to read you had the stock whip there in case of emergency. Even the quietest of the "Big Boys " can need a reminder ! Good Boy Beamer
No bleedin' heart here, you gotta do what you gotta do to keep thing safe for all. I'm glad you had the "ammo". I love the last picture, Rio's face is sooo darn cute! I hope they can behave so Beamer doesn't have to be alone.
you brush them well. Can also post as shiny.
Glad it went well. Wish my little gelding Drift was as well behaved as your stud - he'd do the run down the fenceline thing to Pie but then wouldn't leave him alone, so now he's separated from the others, which is hard on him.
What is typical stallion protocol? Are they usually by themselves? I love the last photo of Rio peaking around the haystack - and what a gorgeous profile on Beamer! Does his black ever fade in the summer sun? The 1/2 Friesian I am bought (and arrives in Octobe) fades quite a bit.
Margaret, I've kept Beamer alone all his life, except for one short period last fall when I put him in with Belle, which ended when Belle started displaying heat even though she was pregnant with Rio at the time. If all my mares were broodmares, he could live with them, no problem, but sometimes I have young mares, or his daughters, or I may not want to breed, so I chose to keep him segregated.
Some stallions are kept with other stallions and/or geldings, but until now I haven't kept any other male horses, so this will be a learning curve for both Beamer and I.
This is a wonderful situation for all! Glad the guys can pal around this winter! Beamer might find out how nice it is to have a warm body to stand alongside on those nippy days, and an extra tail to shoo flies on the warm ones! Rio is just too cute. That heart on his face seems to get more and more "heart" like! Or maybe I'm just taking more and more notice of it. He sure is a handsome boy though!
I hope they are getting along better now, something tells me Rio did'nt want to be treated like a mare..:-)
It would be perfect if you could keep him in with Beamer for the winter, that way Beamer can have a friend. As long as Rio realizes Beamer is the boss and cant corner him hope it works out.
Good luck with Beamer and Rio! I would keep the ammo handy too! I loved your sunday stils!
How nice for Beamer :) Hope he keeps up his good manners so he can continue to have a friend.
And its good for Rio to continue having an adult role model.
Post a Comment