You know how you have those feelings that something will go wrong just because it can? The day I had Chickory's international health papers in hand, I found myself fervently wishing that she could leave that day. That little voice was talking to me. Yesterday when I brought the mares in, Chickory was pretty sore. Yep, heat in her feet. A few phone calls and some good advice later, I cold hosed her, gave her some bute, and worried all night. This morning, at 6 am, more hosing- she was still pretty sore- and a little later more bute, hosing and handwalking. After that she came around really well, even to the point of trotting when I turned her loose; last night she didn't want to move much at all. Midday, more hosing and walking- moving out well, just a little footy on hard surfaces- and I'll give it another go in a little bit. Although she improved dramatically, I won't take the risk of a two day trailer trip- yes, today she was supposed to start her journey to Texas. This is the only window of opportunity to get her there, at least in the near future. Needless to say we are all disappointed, but the welfare of the mare has to come first.
This video was taken after her second treatment today.
*****
I have a nice low spot for her to stand in when I hose her down, it's as good as standing in a bucket of cold water, and she stands nice and still.
Just in after treating her again- the heat is about 75% gone and she is moving easier, you don't notice much walking on the grass but as soon as we hit the packed dirt you can really see it.

13 comments:
No! Such terrible news and terrible timing. Do you know what's going on? She looks so ouchy in the videos.
Of all the rotten luck! Glad you caught it quickly and she is recovering well. So is the deal off or just suspended?
Suspended, Chickory should be fine by next week, but there's no way Amy can haul her to Texas; and the international papers are only good till June 15, although the Coggins is good for 6 months. We'll just have to come up with some other plan, maybe in the fall, or maybe if someone is hauling to Texas and has a slot in their trailer.
Boy that really sucks....the timing just couldn't have been any worse.....but then you know things seem to happen for a reason....just not sure what that might be?
Oh, so sorry for everyone. I'm so glad you caught it early.
Ouchie, she is trying to be good and follow you! Glad she knows you are doing everything you can to help relieve her pain. I hope it goes away soon!
Nice job catching the issue Shirley. Lot of folks would have missed it. I'd keep up the cold hosing even after her showing no additional heat in her feet- if she gets out and moves, hose her down.
Knee mail that she continues to improve and this is an isolated incident!
Shirley, I am so thankful that you caught the problem and that you care enough to NOT send her down here. I truly believe this is a God thing and I'm not going to question it. I'm sad but I know if it is meant to be then God will open that door back up.
After watching those vids it made my stomach turn to think of her on a trailer. She would not have made it in good shape.
You are a good horsie momma, I hope something can be worked out later.
Mrs Mom- thanks I'll sure do that.
Texasnascar- I hated to see this happen when you were so excited about her arrival, but..... I hope we can work something out in the fall, or even next year. I'm not in a hurry to sell her.
Poor Chickory. I'm so sorry. I hope she gets better real soon!!
I'm sorry to read that, but glad she's getting better so quickly. I hope it still works out to get her where she needs to go.
Oh no! Of all the times for this to happen. But glad she is improving and Im sure you will work something out.
Life is just full of ups and downs! A lesser horse person might have missed the signs. ALL of your animals have a loving and caring home with you and Ted.
Post a Comment