Monday, January 5, 2015

First Snow Day of the Winter

The winter storm they forecast hit last night. Light snow until after dark, then this is what I woke up to today:
Just over 8 inches and supposed to snow all day today too. First order of business was to feed the birds, and they were all waiting for me to get out there, galvanized bucket of black oil sunflower seeds in hand, to fill their feeders. On January 1st we had 1 Red Winged Blackbird, we now have 4 and the little gold finches are really having to battle with them for food. I'm sure the blackbirds are putting the word out.... we also have a resident pair of Flickers that were trying to get to the feeders. Then there are these little guys- we don't get many of them usually, but there seem to be more this year, I like their rosy chest.

When I looked out my window at 2 AM, I could see the two geldings standing in the pouring snow (pouring snow because it is coming straight down in tiny flakes like rain) playing with the Christmas tree that I threw in their pen yesterday.  It is mild, and no wind, and I think they were enjoying the snow. Definitely better footing for them, the pen was all frozen pockets of muddy footprints before the snow hit. Now they can move around much more freely.
Josie, however, doesn't look impressed.
After horse chores the dogs decided that I should play ball with them.... it was pretty funny watching them plow through the snow and dig for the ball.


They had a blast! Even Reba got in on the play, although Amber wouldn't let her have the ball.

I'm making progress with Amber, I can now stop her when she is in full flight, and I can get her to "leave it" when she has a toy. Darn near to the point where I won't be wasting my money sending her for stock dog training, which I have scheduled for sometime in February.
Anyway, snow day for me means getting the housework done, then later trimming horse feet. Guess I'd better get off the computer!

7 comments:

IanH said...

Snow can be fun! Great photos and I really like your header!

lisa said...

The dogs sure are having fun playing in the snow! We are also getting snow to fill in some of those horrible frozen mud holes that the horses create!

Montanagirl said...

I'm back from my little break, and Happy New Year to you! You took some super good snowy dog photos! LOVE them!!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Send some snow our way :-D.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures

Anonymous said...

Horses! Doggies!!! Birdies!! Cute!!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You got some wonderful snow shots with the dogs....sounds like Amber is coming along:)