Tuesday, February 6, 2018

A fun Monday

Just for fun, I did the string test on Rosalee to see what gender of foal she is carrying. I'm on a Facebook page called Mare Match Up, and someone posted about it. You suspend a nail on a string, and hold it over the mare's pregnant belly. (Hold your hand still, the nail will move by itself!) If it goes in a circle, it's a filly, if it goes back and forth, it's a colt. Also, they talked about the mare's tailhead- this is a new one to me- once the mare is 8 months pregnant, look at the tailhead; if the hairs are all smooth, it's a colt, and if they are all fuzzy it's a filly.

 So- here is the video.....


and a photo of her tailhead:


Now, I don't take this as science, but with two things saying it's a colt, I'd better start thinking up some good colt names! I already had a filly name picked.

Also, Beamer was telling me he wanted to get out and go for a ride, so- off we went!



That's for Sarah who asked for more virtual rides on Beamer.


We checked the river- no ice jams this year! In fact, the strong flow of the river has kept the water table low and our pond is pretty much gone for now.


We followed a quad trail; it was a beautiful peaceful ride through the woods. I'm enjoying this warm weather, but I think it is supposed to clear off and get colder by Friday- but that's okay, at least it will be sunny!
Riding day 8

9 comments:

Linda said...

It’s supposed to be 49 here on Thursday. Today is sunny and all our snow is gone. The trails are still closed though. A boy, huh? That’s exciting. It seems like you produce a lot of colts there. What is the ratio? All of my friends prefer geldings. Watching six of my mares go in and out of heat, I can kind of understand that. And Little Joe is proud cut, so I found him mounting foxy yesterday. I separated them, but now he’s all worked up. It’s not fun.

C-ingspots said...

I just love Beamer! He is just adorable. :)

That test. My hubby swears by that test. He does believe it's science! He just has to do it on every pregnant lady he encounters...if they'll let him. I've never been able to choose names for any of our animals until after I've gotten to know them a bit. Then, like clockwork, a name just pops into my head and that's who they are! It's obviously a bit more effort for the registered names. My favorite is our Harley horse. His momma was Mis Star of David, but we called her Scooter. Harley was born 31 days late and just laid there for 3 hours looking around, nickering, checking things out before he decided to get up. Then, he just stood up. That's his personality in a nutshell. You can't rush him, he's a laid back kinda guy, but when he's ready, he just does it. So...moral to this story is: slow to get started, but reliable son of Scooter was named Harley. Suits him. Registered name is Harley David's Son. Sorry, this is where my hubby would say, TMI...

Our weather last weekend just out of the blue turned out dry, warm and fairly sunny. Yesterday was in the low 60's with sunshine! OMgosh, just like spring!

Shirley said...

Linda- here is the breakdown; Beamer has sired 3 colts and 2 fillies from Belle, one filly from Chickory, one colt and one filly from Gussie, plus the deceased twins from Gussie were 1 colt and 1 filly; 2 colts from the Paint mare, one filly from his very first breeding to my former trainer's mare, and 2 colts that didn't survive due to no fault of their own and one filly from Coulee (Mesa) so 9 colts and 6 fillies. So he does have a higher percentage of colts. I know a lot of people prefer geldings, and i does make the colts easy to sell, buy personally I would rather ride mares.

Shirley said...

C-ingspots- love the story about Harley!
Most of my foals are named before they hit the ground or very shortly thereafter. Mesa was pre named, as were Rio, Stella,and Kai; Nitro was named very soon after he was born. If Rosalee has a filly, I have a name picked out- but not for a colt yet.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting, 40 some ago they tried that nail thing on me...showed a boy and I had a girl. I hope you get a filly:)

aurora said...

Shirley how long have you owned Beamer? I remember most of the offspring you listed. The way I think about baby gender tests is, you have a 50% chance of being right. Pretty good odds. Your river area is beautiful, even more so with your boy!

Shirley said...

I first laid eyes on Beamer when he was 3 months old and spoke for him then. I bought him when he was 18 months old.

aurora said...

No wonder your bond is so strong with Beamer!! Such a special guy!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Great ride :-D