The warm weather has finally begun! Woo-Hoo! The snow is getting soft and sinking into the ground, which is wonderful for the farmers. It also means that the pastures where I ride have better footing, which I took full advantage of yesterday. Sassy had her 8th ride yesterday; I rode her in their winter pen, and at first it was rather like pushing a wet noodle, and of course familiar things like the round bale feeder suddenly have horse-eating monsters lurking when one has a rider on top! So instead of getting in a battle and insisting that we ride past the bale feeder I took her down along the fenceline and rode her back and forth along that- I had to tap her butt with the rein a few times until she figured out that I wanted her to just travel out in a straight line. Once she was going relaxed there, we went up by the bale feeder again and I worked her in figure eights, changes of direction and stepping across on the front end; then we went past the feeder, which no longer had lurking monsters. So it was a good productive ride that ended on a realy good note.
After that I rode Beamer, just putting along through the snow, until I asked him to stop from a trot and he tried to throw his nose up and bull into the bridle- which of course, brought about a working session until I had him stopping softly on a loose rein! (He tries that every now and then when he hasn't been ridden for a while!)
Today I hope to get in another ride on Sassy, hopefully with pictures this time. I'll leave you with This one of Reba and Tess soaking up the sunshine while they were guarding the herd.


5 comments:
Funny it never seems to matter how long a horse has been trained ,they all throw out a little "test" once in a while. Looking forward to new pics of Sassy under saddle,sounds like she is going to be great!
I imagine my boy will be throwing some tests this spring, since we've hardly ridden all winter! It's too be expected and I don't think it'll take too long to get back into the swing of things.
I love the picture of Tess and Reba in the snow. I'm not sure I ever picked up on their names before...cool names!
Isn't the sun wonderful? It cheers up everything!
Those are really cool border collies, by the way!
Greetings from West Africa,
Esther
Thanks, Esther, and thanks for the visit!
Reba and Tess are soo cute! sitting in the snow :) hee hee hee:) tell them that next time they come down and visait with auntie marilena, i will buy a little ball for them and we can play in the park if you want to come? :)
Post a Comment