The Arctic front has dissipated somewhat, and it was warm enough to ride today. I spent some time grooming the girls; got a whack of hair off Coyote Belle, not so much on Sassy and Chickory. Got to see the baby doing the punching bag routine in Belle's belly. Then me'n'Beamer'n'dogs went for a putt around the pasture; still 18 inches of snow in most places, so I spent some time in the nice smoothly plowed parking area; working on some maneuvers. I think I told you once that when Beamer spins, his pivot foot drills holes in the ground: here's proof:

He is so much fun to ride! We also worked a little sidepass exercise where you ride forward in a twotrack (using same side cues-eg, left rein and left leg to go forward to the right, keeping the horse's body straight so he crosses diagonally)and then shutting down the forward momentum and channeling it sideways by simply increasing your rein and leg pressure. It's a real nice exercise to use on young horses because it doesn't frustrate them because they have somewhere to go, unlike putting their nose to a wall and trying to teach them to sidepass that way. Now Beamer knows all this stuff, but I always like to go back and do basic steps with them first and then ask for the advanced maneuver. In this case, I then asked for a sidepass from a standstill. I am so looking forward to taking a clinic this year, I sure hope I can find one near where we live.
6 comments:
Shirely ,its starting to sound like you could run a clinic ! I did hear of one in Barrhead sometime this spring ,I could get more info if you like .It is a bit of a trek ,but you have friends in the area so you could camp over.
Look at that "drill hole"! Maybe you should do it a bit longer and you can "drill" to the core of the earth.
I hear it is pretty hot and then some of that heat would be released up and melt all of your snow away!!
Too cool, be of good cheer, spring will be here soon..:-)
I've been taking your advice and two-tracking before asking for the sidepass. It really makes a difference.
Aw shucks, NuzMuz, always glad to be of help!
Ed, not soon enough!
WOW, on with the melt down! we have warm weather for a few days, it should help!
FV, sure let me know what the clinic is all about, please.
How exciting! I'm jealous! Hopefully I can get some riding in real soon, I'm having withdrawls! The rain is supposed to start clearing tomorrow!
Post a Comment