We covered about twenty miles that day, and she worked every minute of it and still was willing to give me more at the end of the day. That mare had heart!
The next year we hauled down there again; she loved working cattle and I could always count on her if we had to bust through trees and brush to head off a bunch quitter. I rode her in many parades, and won a little money team penning on her. I loved riding this mare, she was feather light in the face and leg, always willing, and she had no quit in her.
Sundee raised three babies for me; this one is Jess Dial It at about 8 hours old. All her foals were fillies. Coyote Belle was her third and last baby. I was boarding them at a friends place that year, and shortly after weaning, Sundee was kicked in the front leg by a draft horse, breaking her cannon bone clean through. I called the vet and had her euthanized. She was only 8 years old.
She had the kindest disposition, all the other horses loved her- she fit into any herd she was introduced to.She was a smoky black, and went through 4 or 5 colour changes in a year, just like Coyote Belle does. I see a lot of her in Coyote Belle, and hope her legacy of heart and willingness carries on through her daughter. (I don't ride Belle because of an old injury to her right shoulder.) I'd also like to buy back her buckskin filly, but the owner is using her as a kid's horse ( which I'm not surprised!) so it's not too likely at the moment. Maybe someday.
8 comments:
Great tribute. She was a lovely mare, such a kind look in her face. So sad her life was cut short. I like the pictures of you working cattle in Montana! Those are postcard perfect!
Congrats on 300 posts, by the way!
This is a wonderful post for your 300th! It's always a joy and so heart warming to see, read and remember about those that made such a lasting impression in our lives and in our hearts!
Coyote Belle sounds amazing....I'm sure you miss her terribly, but you have wonderful memories to treasure, Shirley.
♥ Barb
Actually, Barb, the post is about Coyote Belle's mother, and yes; I still miss her. We had a wonderful bond.
That is a great story! I loved it. You are doing a great thing riding those colts in the snow. keep it up! You should check out the December issue of Western Horseman. Big article of snow colts.
Dang Shirley, You already told me tha story ans I am still tearing up!Thank you though for finally telling her story ,very fitting for your 300th post
Congrats!!!! What a great 300th post. I love the pictures.
That is a wonderful story about an exceptional mare...I know exactly how you feel. It's such a shame you lost her so early. I hope that someday you can get that filly back.
Congrats on your 300th post...keep it up girl, you're a great blogger!
Many Happy Trails~~
Finally got around to reading this....was too soon after Rojo was killed.
Your story about Sundee made me cry again. She sounded like one of those once-in-a-lifetime horses. It's crazy how something can happen so suddenly to end a horse's life, when they seem so strong and sturdy.
I'm sure you terrible heartbroken when it happened.
How long did it take you before you started to feel 'normal' again?
I'm still not at that point yet...
(((HUGS)))
~Lisa
ps, thanks for the comment you left for me. It meant so much.
Post a Comment