Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sassy videos- 9th ride

I got my husband to video my 9th ride on Sassy today. In this first one, I had just got on and lined her out along the fence line. (Sorry about the buildup of poop in the corner, there's no cleaning that until the snow's gone!)

In the second one, coming back along the fence you can see her reaching for the bit and shaking her head around a little, but mostly she travels along quite nicely.

In the next video, I work her a little on changing direction and the back-up. I like that she stands quietly and waits for me to show her what I want- even if she doesn't get it right away!

After Ted left, I rode her a little more, and danged if she didn't try to pull a sideways jump at some imaginary boogieman. It kinda made me laugh, because it was pretty easy to ride. I prefer to have colts pull that stuff when I first start riding them because it's usually easy to handle; and if they don't, you end up wondering when they are going to come apart on you. I say, get it over with soonest! I rode her some more after that, and she settled in and behaved. Coltishness aside, she is a sensible filly, and it's going to be a delight to work with her this year.

2 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I agree ,show me what you have early on ,saves wondering when the "other shoe is gonna drop" I don't mind when they take a little rein and reach for the bit, shows me they are willing to carry it , though the head shaking is a little resistance overall she is coming along beautifully! what good work you are doing!

Shirley said...

Thanks, Sherry. I'd be surprised if I didn't get a little resistance; but what she throws at me is pretty mild.