Saturday, January 8, 2011

Good and bad

Today is one of the warmest days we've had in a while, and I'm just itchin' to get out and ride. There's just one problem though;
Yep, that's ice! It rained over the last two days, and snow has become ice. This is the view from my hitching rail, looking at Beamer's pen. No way I'm asking him to walk over that much ice, even though the hayfield would be good footing right now. Drat! The horses are enjoying the warm day, hanging out in the sunshine- except Beamer, who is in his shelter, because it has the best view of the mares. Oh, and Url-
Who prefers to lie on the comfortable bedding!

Velvet is all sleepy, and I love her curly forelock. My friend Tara at HP Quarter Horses has built me a sale page for Velvet on her website; here is the link. Scroll to the bottom of the page to see Velvet, and make sure you check out the horses Tara has for sale too; there are some good ones there!
So the good is that its a warm beautiful day, the bad is the ice.  But- that's not all.
I've just had some bad news from the people who bought Velvet's dam, Gussie. Norm has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer, and they are dispersing their horses. The bottom line is, Gussie is coming home.
I'm looking for a ride for her to here from Sundre Alberta as soon as possible. Coyote Belle and Beamer are going to be really happy to see her. She was Belle's BFF.  I guess the only good from this is that Gussie will be coming to to us, and we have the option of keeping or selling her.
Sooooo, better go- I've got phone calls to make.


7 comments:

Linda said...

Oh Shirley I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I hope you can get a ride home for Gussie soon. It's blizzarding here, only like it can in Alberta and Siberia.

Cheyenne said...

OH! Hope you can ride soon...sorry to hear the sad news.

There is nothing more that I hate than ice. Okay, maybe wind, but ice scares me! Nice day there?! It's blizzarding here...why do we live here again?

BridgeEtta said...

Sounds like you're having quite the time. Makes the blizzard here kind of pale in comparison. Hope things turn around for you. (That water thing really sucks)

Anonymous said...

Very sorry about your friend - but glad the horse has a place to go.

I hate ice - worse than wind or cold.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That ice looks treachurous.

And I though Velvet was gorgeous. That Gussie is a beaut! It will be nice to see more photos of her on your blog when she comes home again. Bittersweet with Norm's situation, though.

~Lisa

Sherry Sikstrom said...

so sorry about Gussies people! I will try to track down the people who hauled Classy and see. We are in the thick of a January storm here so the wet looks kinda appealing but the footing ... nope! If Gussies needs to take a stopover in her journey for some reason ,she would be welcome here, though ,she might not get backl on the trailer , quite the pony that one!

cdncowgirl said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Gussie's people. They must be a bit relieved in knowing that at least one of their horses has a good home to go to, even if it ends up being temporary.