Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Not a good start

Well, there is a way of thinking, that if things start out bad, they can only get better. In that case, this should be a heck of a good year. First of all, our financial situation, that requires me to sell Velvet, is still not good- I really do need to get her sold. Then, Sunday morning I went out to do my morning chores, only to find a new lake in the mare pen- and it's well below freezing! The culprit-
this is on old auto waterer that is defunct, and the leak that sprung up underneath it is deep in the ground..... the frozen ground..... which means that it can't be fixed till spring...... which means that we had to shut off the main water feed to all the stand pipes that service the horse pens.....which means that I now have to deal with 200 feet of hose, which I have to run through the bathroom window and down the hall to hook up to the water tap for the washer.....for the next 4 months.......sigh.....

And since all troubles happen in threes, that same day I managed to leave a frying pan on the burner, with the heat turned on high..... then went out to do chores...... which means I came back in the house to thick smoke and the smoke alarm just screaming- at least I know it works! It took quite a while to disperse all the smoke, air out the house, and use up a can of Febreze trying to get the place to smell bearable. The next day I washed all the walls and washed curtains and towels and anything that smelled smoky. Aaarrrrgh!
Soooo, one of my favorite sayings is, rock bottom is just a place to turn around.

17 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Aww nuts!!!! I was hoping the waterer was just leaking somewhere in the top part, that is fixable! that ice looks terrible , be careful girl. Hoping Velvet gets sold soon, I would think she would be an easy sale she is so gorgeous,I will chase up a few leads around here too. I like your saying ,its a good attitiude to have.Hugs and good wishes prayers and thoughts

Crystal said...

Yikes, you would think with all that water there it would last a while. I feel for you, i hate ahauling hoses. Hope you get Velvet sold as well she sure is a nice one, wish I had room here for here, but I will mention her around as well.

Paint Girl said...

I am so sorry to hear that you have to sell Velvet. She is beautiful and if I had more property I'd buy her in a heartbeat!
Dealing with hoses is a nightmare, especially in the winter.
Hope things get better for you soon.

cheyenne jones said...

What can I say? That all knocks my issues into a cocked hat! Here the frost is returning, something about "North Atlantic Drift!" That idea of leaving the pan on the burner? I have done it myself, many times! Its not good, and the smell is clingy!!

lisa said...

I like that saying! I will have to remember that one. I thought I had it bad just dragging my hose out every other day from the basement to the stock tanks. I sure hope things start looking up for you! Any bites on Velvet at all?

Anonymous said...

Water in winter always seems to cause trouble. Glad the smoke didn't turn into a real fire - I've done stuff like that before.

Shirley said...

Lisa, no serious inquiries. It's really tough to sell a horse in winter, especially one that is a little too young for riding. I think come spring, I'll have better luck. Of course, by then I probably won't want to sell her!

luvmyhrs said...

Shirley horses seem to be starting to move on Northernhorse again, why haven't you tried putting her there yet? Also send me her info via email and I will put her on my site for you as well...


Really crappy way to start the new year, knock on wood that it doesn't happen here, we had a though enough fall around here, don't need that too!

Just wow what a pain I can't belive how hard it is going to be for you to water for the rest of the year... rest asured though spring should happen in March for you at least!

Email me Velvets info I'll get her up right away!

Tara

CTG Ponies said...

Hopefully it's all up from here!

cdncowgirl said...

I was really considering Velvet when I bought my colts. But I just can't, mares seem to make Voodoo think he's a stud (and not a nicely mannered one like Beamer). So although I prefer mares and want a well bred one I just can't until fate parts me & Voodoo.

That sucks about the waterer. I check mine every morning and breath a sigh of relief when they are all working well. NOT looking forward to the day they break, cuz it will happen eventually right? (actually we did have one break this summer, maybe we're not due for awhile? *knock wood*)

Mikey said...

Oh no! That is so not cool. 4 months to water like that? UGH. I'm sending you a big hug. You need one. It will get better!

Janice said...

Wow Shirley I thought I was starting my year off bad.I like your saying though, I will keep telling myself that and hopefully things get better.I feel for you having to drag your hoses that far, I know it is a real pain(literally). Well I'm hoping things improve for you guys soon.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you had such a bad day! call me if you need to talk!

Susan said...

Sounds like us. We're stringing hose from the corrals all the way to the other side of the house. That's five hoses to string out and then drain afterwards.

Janice Grinyer said...

oh man...hugs to (((Shirley)))

well, i guess its good that you got all that icky stuff out of the way for the new year, you can only go up! After all, how many times will you be checking the stove now before you go outside - so it shouldnt happen again, right?? ("feralwoman ducks out of the way of Shirley's swipe in her direction" lol)

And actually, i know someone who started their ritchie waterer on fire accidently in the winter (long story, involved frozen waterer, a wind break of hay bales and a propane heater - not a good mix)

Poor thing couldnt go into a feed store for at least a year without someone asking her "arent you the gal who the neighbors called the fire dept on 'cuz you started your ritchie on fire?"

Anonymous said...

Oh, Shirley... I'm sorry! It'll get better. Hugs.

Far Side of Fifty said...

No fun to drag hoses..we used to do two five gallon buckets uphill..it was great exercise in the winter..we filled them in the bath tub..thank goodness we only had two horses...but they had to have water..my daughter got some great arm muscles!
I hope things turn around for you soon:)