Saturday, September 24, 2011

Work and play

Today was a hot one, and I spent it fighting with the tractor, trying to get Beamer's pen cleaned. The linkage for the lever that operates the bucket and boom is totally worn out, it's pretty tough to steer and hold the linkage together and operate the lever all at the same time; I needed another hand! Got'er done though.  Put some dirt in Beamers feed area to level it so that the snow (!!!) won't melt into the shelter this winter. We will be building some walls for him too which will make the area a little larger and keep the winter winds out.
When I rode him yesterday I got this shot of the corn field that the elk are snacking on; they only hit the short corn that they can see over, and left this part of the field alone; these stalks are almost 10 ft. tall.

Speaking of elk, I plan to wait for cooler weather, it's crazy trying to get an animal in the heat and not have the meat spoil. I'll still do some scouting though.

Some of us bloggers are planning a trip to Red Deer Alberta next week to the Canadian Cowhorse Supreme which is a great show that includes cutting, reining, and working cowhorse. There is a huge Equine trade fair, and a horse sale on Friday night. Janice and I are traveling together on Thursday, and will spend all day Friday at the show, and maybe Saturday morning before heading back. The plan is to meet up with Sherry and Crystal, and we are hoping that Linda can make it- and any other bloggers who live close enough to head over there. It'll be great to have a girls night out!
No Beamer, you can't come, even though there would be lots of horse girls for you to look at!

4 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

That corn field shot is really lovely . I am seriously going to try to get there for Friday, may be hauling a horse from Saskatoon on Sat so it will be a day trip only , but better than not at all . Mentioned it to Deb as well

Ed said...

Bremer would be like a kid in a candy store at that get together..:-)

cheyenne jones said...

Poor Beamer!

Linda said...

It's been really hot here too 93*F this afternoon. I'm hoping I can talk Nina into coming on Friday and meeting everyone!