Saturday, August 18, 2012

And the heat goes on...

Well so far Chickory is doing a good job of baby sitting Nitro; this morning I turned them out as usual at 7:30 AM and kept them separate from Gussie and mama Belle until almost 3 PM. Nitro did a little calling, but kept a close eye on Chicky, and spent most of the day grazing at  her heels to take advantage of her  fly-swatter tail. When I let Belle in with them, he went full tilt boogie to meet  her and had a good slurp of milk.
Then it was stuck like glue to mama!
Check out those long toes... he on the list after his mama; I trimmed Rio this morning while it was still cool out; it got up to 95F (35 C) today with a humidex of 100.5. Needless to say I didn't get much done for the rest of the day. In the late afternoon when I was filling horse water tubs Chickory, Gussie, and Rio all wanted to be sprayed down. Belle isn't a fan of spraying, unless I have a halter on her and make her stand.
I measured Rio today, he is officially the same height as Beamer and he's only 16 months old. He's hip high right now , the boy is growing.....
into a very handsome horse! We have decided to leave him a stallion for now, as we hope to send him to the trainers next year, I'd really like him to have a show career. His wounds have all  healed, but he does have some lumps, so no halter classes for him.

7 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

I sure need to catch up! Rio got it, it sounds..drat.I just love that boy.

We are FINALLY getting some relief from the 90's and humidity we are not used to. I hope you can as well. Wa mare hates the spraying too...have to have a rope at least, or she'll exit!

Hang in...LOVE Beamer on the header...fantastic!

Mary Ann said...

Pictures as usual are gorgeous, and Belle, Rio and Nitro are all so much of a same color... beautiful!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

He sure is a stunner! Glad weaning is going well. And that sounds just stinkin hot, you need a dipping pool!

Paint Girl said...

That is hot! We have been in the mid 90's as well which is not normal here. We finally got some relief today and was quite a bit cooler.
Rio is sure getting big! He is so gorgeous! As well as that little Nitro cutie!!

Montanagirl said...

That Nitro is beautiful as are the others. One can tell they are well cared for. Nice post!

aurora said...

Beautiful, all of them. Can't believe how big Rio is getting! Bet they were glad to cool off.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I really like both of these babies. Nice, nice.