Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Summer is slippin' away

You could tell there was cooler weather this morning; my mares were my barometer: Gussie and Belle were acting like frisky foals!
They went ripping around, leaping,
 cavorting
and flat out galloping.
Lovely, silly mares!
I rode Beamer last night and today, boy is he ever out of shape, poor boy. Now that we are in to cooler weather, I will be riding more often- I just couldn't ask them to pack me around in that sweltering humidity that we've had for the last month.
Nitro is doing well with the gradual weaning program. The other day I switched out pastures and put him and Chickory in Rio's paddock, over the electric fence  from his mama and Gussie. I'm happy to say that he totally respected the fence and didn't try it even once. He did rip around his new digs though!
Life is good! I think I love the end of summer as much as the beginning of it. It's nice to see the results of your efforts when you see a healthy foal; when you look at your garden and wonder what you are going to do with the hundreds of little yellow tomatoes that one plant is producing, and dig up enough potatoes for 3 meals in one shovelful; when you look at all the flowers in their full glorious beauty- even if you didn't  plan on them getting that hugeomongous-

and especially when there  is just that little hint of cooler weather on the horizon. It energizes me!
 I still have a week of holidays, just need to decide where and what to do. Probably a couple of days down to Kamloops and Enderby to see my dad and some friends, and then somewhere with Gussie. Unfortunately I just got hit with a tax bill so I won't be going too far- maybe explore some of the local trails. I've lived here for 3 years now and don't know any of the trails yet.

16 comments:

Dreaming said...

I love fall, too. But I am not sure I'm ready to give up on summer.
Love your mares... their high jinks made me smile!

Michele said...

iam only a "fan" of summer IF the temp stays on or around 15-22 celsius. that's it for me. 15 is spring. 22 more like beginning of summer. iam not a fan of the heat. i'd rather put up with extreme cold. at least you can dress for that!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Cooler temps coming here too , will be nice to get more done. I see Gussie has some "Beamer moves" of her own

Ed said...

I know just how they feel, its been a bit cooler down here too and I feel great!!! :-)

cheyenne jones said...

Nitro did have fun, judging by that video! Lovely foal.
Nice are too. Glad its cooler for you, and the horses.....of course!

Montanagirl said...

Fall has always been my favorite time of year. That Nitro is just so beautiful - and when he's running...wow! Great form, and he can stop on a dime!! Beautiful photos.

Janice said...

I'm liking the cooler temps too...wish it could just stay like this all year round...is there anywhere like that? I'm moving.
Somebody buy Nitro...what a drop dead gorgeous horse....he's the real deal.... at 4 1/2 months you don't see all that many foals put together as well as him.The Mares are looking good.

Janice said...

PS, find those trails I'll come over for a ride.

aurora said...

The end of summer/flowers etc always makes me a little sad, resembles the passing of time - but I do love Fall!!

That Gussie, she's got some moves of her own - great pics! Exploring in your "own back yard" sounds like fun!!

5 Starr's Farm said...

The cooler weather gets me going again. Everything looks lovely your way.............

lisa said...

You sure can tell when cooler weather hits, my horses do the same, they just love to kick up their hoofs and play! Great pictures of them playing.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Wow awesome pics.
I love the thought of the summer over I seem to have to work to hard in the summer:)
Enjoy your time off and DO check out those trails near you I am sure they are wonderful. Have fun. B

Nikker said...

Add me to the list of fall lovers!! It's been so hot here, I can barely stand to do anything after work except make my way into the air conditioned house! So thankful for the cooler temps!
That Nitro is such an athlete, love watching him in his videos.

Crystal said...

Will be kinda nice to get into a little cooler temps during the day, but the days getting shorter I dont really like or the cold nights. But after a good freeze and most of the bugs die I love that time of year, kinda like spring :)

thecrazysheeplady said...

How old is Beamer?

Shirley said...

He is 11