Monday, August 27, 2012

Beamer

I know a lot of people think that stallions are best as geldings, but if that were true, there wouldn't be many horses in the world, would there? Years ago when I was looking for a herd sire- back in the days when I was working full time and could afford to dream big- I had certain criteria: pedigree and confirmation of course, but also eye appeal and disposition. A certain 3 month old colt caught my eye when I was visiting friends in Eureka Montana.

I'd been keeping an eye on their foal crop over the years and knew they raised good athletic well bred horses. He was the cutest li'l rascal! Even if he did look a little scruffy. I knew his sire, and saw his dam, so I spoke for him, and picked him up in February of his 2 year old year.
He's still catching my eye, and as far as disposition goes he can't be beat. Many children- and adults- have had their first ever ride on him. He's easy to handle, even in breeding season; in fact the only time he was ever a pain in the a** was in 2010 on our blogger ride in the mountains, he was in love with  Crystal's mare who was in heat and he had a hard time focusing on me- but we dealt with it. He's my favorite horse to just get on and go for a leisurely putt, or go check the cows on, although he isn't a rope horse. He's 11 years old now.
He got to give another person their first ride yesterday: We went for coffee at Tim Horton's after church yesterday, and met a young fellow from New Zealand who was whiling away the hours waiting for an evening bus to go to Banff. We invited him down and ended up putting him in Ted's  uniform for the NWMP and after a short instruction on how the power steering, brakes and reverse work on Beamer, he rode, and did a great job.  Beamer, of  course, was a star.

I even got some video.

You've seen other posts about Beamer giving people their first ride, and I absolutely do not hesitate to do this. Of course, not  when there are mares in heat around! His disposition is exceptional, and it's the reason he's still a stallion. Other than the fact that he puts very nice babies on the ground!

10 comments:

Tracey said...

Hmmm...Beamer x Tika???

I do love these photos of Beamer; what a good boy he is!

Nikker said...

What a treat for him. I can't imagine waiting for a bus one minute and then riding a horse in full dress the next! You are too nice!
And again what a nice and patient horse you have!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

well they say if you like 'em at 3 months... Good Boy Beamer , I do love to see Mr Handsome in action

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I think Beamer would be an awesome horse to ride I have not ridden in many many years as I had an unfortunate incident with a runaway Stallion thinking about it now I should have got back on.
You are so nice to pick up strangers put them in uniform and have them march around your farm. Very Canadian of you:) Wish I lived closer. B

Montanagirl said...

He looks like a great beginner's horse! He's very beautiful.

Crystal said...

Very cool! What an experience for him to remember. And even though he was bad during that trail ride, he sure coulda been a lot worse, and you handled him just fine :)

Janice said...

Good thing he has so much patience....good boy Beamer.

Ed said...

He's a true stud boy, thats for sure..:-))

aurora said...

You are amazing, and Beamer - well, pretty sure he's doing his part to bring joy to the world. Love that guys giggle of pure joy. What a patient beautiful Beamer!

Far Side of Fifty said...

We all love your Beamer.. I enjoyed seeing his three month old photo. What a lucky kid from NZ..:)