Thursday, August 9, 2012

Beamer excels as a beginner's horse

Yes, that's right, Beamer, my stallion, is my go-to horse to put beginners on. There's  many a child that has had their first ever ride on him- and some adults as well.
My cousin from the coast  and her husband and 6 year old son visited for a couple of days; I promised that if they came up I'd let Tyrone ride Beamer.
Beamer was as good as gold. I led him at first, and since he was being so good, I let mom take over the leading, while dad side-walked so I could snap a couple of photos.
Beamer was a star. His whole attitude was soft and gentle, and he was careful to step slowly and only give as much as he was asked for.

Happy child!
Tyrone's dad wanted to try too- he's always wanted to ride a horse, and this was his opportunity. So we headed to the round pen, and he got a quick run down on the basics of steering, forward, stop and reverse, and I turned him loose- he did great!
The stirrups were a notch too short for him to get a really good leg position, but over all he did really well. Beamer never once gave more than  he was asked for, and I had to make sure that dad realized that his body language was what Beamer was listening to. I thought it was a great first lesson, and I'm so proud of Beamer for giving this family a good experience- mom got on and rode too.
 Yes, that's a forest fire in the  background.
When I got on, I  loped him and showed them his spin, - Beamer's no dead-head!
Love my B-boy!
It was really great getting to visit with family- it's  been 45 years since I've seen my cousin, so it was great to re-connect and share stories. 

14 comments:

Linda said...

That is amazing!! What an awesome stallion!!!

Dreaming said...

I love horses like Beamer, who take a fair and honest read of the skills of the rider, and go with the flow.
You have a wonderful stallion there! Tyrone is a cutey!

Janice said...

Way to go B Boy, I would expect nothing less.He's such a doll.

cheyenne jones said...

How good is that! great stuff.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Wow 45 years is a long time I am glad you reconnected it is funny life is like that.
I would love to learn how to ride again, I used to ride for years in my teens twenties I am sure I have forgotten a lot. I think Beamer would maybe get me over that fear. I unfortunately had a bad fall and never got back on the horse. Wish I had of. B

thecrazysheeplady said...

Okay, it's early and I'm tired, but here's the thought process.

I'd LOVE to ride Beamer.

What a good boy.

Spit coffee over forest fire comment. Shouldn't be funny, but you just through that in so nonchalantly... ;-D.

How Sam Sees It said...

I've always thought stallions are only idiots if you let them be - and Beemer is proof that stallion's can be good!

Sam

Montanagirl said...

Wonderful post! He's a beautiful animal. So gentle natured for a stallion!

Michele said...

great photos! glad everyone had fun! yay for beamer! good boy! :)

aurora said...

How fun for you to share Beamer, and what a special time for your family!

Nikker said...

L.O.V.E. him!! It's so great that you can share him with everyone and know that he is going to take care of them! I bet that little boy will never forget his first ride...or his dad's first ride!!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Yay! Mr Handsome does it again!

Laura said...

Aww what a good boy, and so handsome!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Way to go..good first experiences for all..and on a wonderful horse to boot! Can't get much better than that! :)