Saturday, August 4, 2012

Home from my holiday

We're baaaaa-aack! It's always nice to be home, but I sure did enjoy getting to go out and ride every day this past week. We got to Janice's Tuesday evening in time to go for a ride out back of her place; how nice to have bush trails just out your back door! The next day, we saddled up and hauled down the road a ways. Since it was a hot day we didn't take the dogs with us- much to their disapproval! I really liked this area, it had some lovely open land and a couple of Buttes.
Janice on Moxie leading the way

We made a quick stop at a scenic spot for a photo-op; that's the ever-present Fisher Peak in the background.

After that we wended our way to a ridge that overlooked the valley in the opposite direction, where we stopped for a break; Moxie hadn't broke sweat, but Gussie was soaked.
She enjoyed a lunch of native grasses. Janice took some photos of a hawk that we disturbed, and I found this little caterpillar- funny little thing with black beady eyes, but I couldn't get them in the photo- guess he was shy!
It was sure a pretty rest stop. There was an old dilapidated picnic table there, so apparently someone else appreciated the view.
Check out that tail- big chunks missing, maybe from rubbing, maybe from a pint-sized tail chewer, but I've never seen it happen.
Janice is like me- not too fond of having her photo taken, but she did allow this one:
Funny girl, Janice!
After a nice break we  headed back to the trailer, where I got a nice photo of Moxie- this is the horse Janice had in her recent Fridays for Sale post.
C'mon folks- everyone always says they want a nice trustworthy horse they can just get on and go places with- here she is! Whatcha waiting for? By the way- hay is plentiful here too.
Anyway, back to the story. The next day I did a run to town while Janice kept her greenhouse open for business; here's a sample of some of the lovely flower baskets she has hanging on her house:
She also has a country gift store with some really neat stuff in it, like these door toppers which just perch on the frame above your door:
and this felted mouse, made by our friend Margaret Ironmonger (the wife of the  man who made Beamer's saddle)
Anyway, that evening, we went on another ride, and this time we took the dogs, as it was a lot cooler- and who could resist these pitiful faces?
But- enough for today- more tomorrow! For more on this ride, check out this post from Janice.

9 comments:

Michele said...

great photos! best gussie loved the outing, and the dogs too! glad you had a good time! :)

Janice said...

It is always nice to get home isn't it.Those dogs are P A T H E T I C!!!!!!!Is your garden twice the size now???

Mary Ann said...

Oh, my, Moxie is a BEAUTY! Gussie looked good, too, and they are so lucky to have grass there! The picture of the dogs is priceless!

aurora said...

Welcome back! Glad you guys had such a great time. The photo of Janice cracked me up, I don't like my picture taken either. Moxie looks like a gem, 'nuff said. All the photos were great, but the four dogs...lol...they sure are "suffering" poor babies ;) I agree, it's priceless!

Shirley said...

The dogs are, from left to right, jTess, Reba, Sage, and Kali. Tess and Sage are Reba pups from different litters and Kali is a Tess pup. So.... it's all Reba's fault. She started the whole "pathetic" thing.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Loved the Border Collie shot..how could you leave them out?? It made me smile..as I get that look often..but times four..what a group! :)

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Looks like a great time! beautiful country, and Janice has a store? I have to get out there sometime!

Nikker said...

Great pictures! :0)

Ed said...

Great shots, sounds like ya'll had a ball. I always thought cowgirls had the best buttes..:-)))