Can't let a beautiful day go to waste!
Rio had a special day today. A young lady we know, the one with whom we went on trail rides last summer, kindly agreed to be the first one to step up on Rio.
A little preliminary work in the round pen- and it was time.
(this was done on both sides)
and it was time....
The grin says it all!
I was grinning just as much!
Rio never lost his soft eye and relaxed demeanor throughout this whole process.
I led him out, and since he was so calm, I had her take over the steering and rein him each direction, with a couple of stop and step backs. Rio was a star!
The plan is to do this twice a week, just a few minutes at a time, and next month haul him over to the indoor arena and get him used to some new sights etc. And.... This pair will be hitting the show ring in the future! Since I don't particularly like showing, and this young lady does (I don't yet have permission to use her name) she has agreed to show Rio - and possibly future Diamond Lazy H horses too. I am so happy to have someone to share my horses with, you have no idea.
I has a happy. For sure.
21 comments:
Wow! What a good boy!
What a good boy. She does look a bit happy....and it's no wonder you are too. I somehow don't think Jazz is going to be so laid back. love the pick of Rio's mane down below...great catch.
PS; Send that girl over here.
good job rio!!! good boy! :)
What a great job you are doing! There is never any need for upset in starting young horses. I'm so glad you are doing it the right way.
What a great start! How exciting to have someone to work with your horses with!
Awww, what a good boy!
Way to go, Rio!
Off to a great start for this boy. Congratulations!
Lucky lucky lady and of course Rio seems to be smiling too and I know you were. B
Well, I sure didn't expect anything less :-). How nice to have someone to ride with. I hauled over to an indoor the other day and am going to continue for the rest of the winter.
Before you even mentioned the grin I was going to say something about it! Yeah.... happy, happy day!
Before you even mentioned the grin I was going to say something about it! Yeah.... happy, happy day!
I bet you were happy, I wish I could find someone just like that. I would love for Sirocco to have someone put the time on him for me. Just will have to take my time and see what happens. He looks like he was a good boy, a little ear unhappiness but not too bad.
Lisa, I wouldn't say that was "ear unhappiness"- those ears weren't pinned at all, he was listening to Shayla, and all the unusual sounds coming from there. He was just paying attention.
He's gonna be an easy one to train from start to finish, lucky you! And extra lucky to have someone to share your horses with. My current barn/riding buddy is moving to Colorado, I'm really, really going to miss her, so I am in envy of you.
Great stuff, good to see.
Always an exciting time, glad it went well.
He seems to like all the attention..:-))
He's an amazing animal! Bet your were pleased and excited!
I LOVE it when young horses behave so well!
- The Equestrian Vagabond
:) Those big smiles say it all..Rio is such a sweetie:)
Post a Comment