Thursday, February 28, 2013

The boys, birds, and good dogs

Yesterday when I got home from work I was kinda lazy feeling, didn't want to get off my comfy couch and go out to do chores- but I'm glad I did. The sun came through the clouds, and I turned Beamer out in his pasture to play for a while. He was rather lazy too, until I chased his sons out of their pen to visit daddy.
The behavior of Nitro and Rio towards their daddy is always interesting to watch. They are both submissive to him, and Rio tries to boss Nitro around with varied success; Nitro is pretty good at standing up for himself, as a hoofprint on Rio's chest testifies. Nitro doesn't think twice about double-barreling Rio when he gets too pushy.


After the herd dynamics got sorted out, it was play time.
Nitro and Beamer stroll down the fence together; Rio doesn't really do this; he will come and greet Beamer but then goes off on his own.

Nitro was feeling good- here he is showing off some of his moves while Beamer shows how to trot the sidepass:

Beamer- that move is showing off your cutting blood- now if only I had some cows to work.
Rio finally got out and played too- but not for long.

All that work made Nitro a thirsty boy, time for some of that bubble-up.

A little later I went  out to bring Beamer in and spotted this fellow on a fence post:

I grabbed Beamer's bridle and hopped on bareback to see if I could get a little closer for a better photo.... got a little sidetracked by some geese....
 I didn't manage to get any closer to the eagle, but it was interesting to watch and listen as a female eagle flew over, and he was talking to her.

Look closely... the Eagle is... shall we say... excreting?
He flew away after that, but since there was a field full of Canada geese we made our way over to them. The dogs were with me, and I didn't want to alarm the geese, so I asked them to lie down and stay,

which they did for the next 15 minutes while Beamer and I rode near the geese and watched them for a while.
We made our way a little closer, and the geese weren't too disturbed by our presence. a few bunches would fly away,but not all of them.
It was fun, a nice relaxing way to spend the afternoon.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pics...WOW!

Mary Ann said...

Oh my gosh... the header looks fantastic.. and how do you ever get the videos to load, ours Just.Will.Not. The boys all look so good after winter... and how the socks on the two little boys stand out as they trot and lope!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Fantastic post. Such great photos. And gifts.

Anonymous said...

Love all those cute flagged tails!

Janice said...

Nice afternoon for sure, wish I lived closer.

cheyenne jones said...

Wow!......Brilliant.

Susan said...

Shoot, couldn't get the videos to work. We have good internet service days and bad ones here...Great photos. How many people can say they've gotten a shot of an eagle pooping?

Prairie Girl said...

I want to come and live with you!! Your place on this earth is gorgeous!! And I love all the pictures of your animals!! Please can I come live with you!? :)

Two Blondes and an Appy said...

Looks like it was a great day!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

since you mentioned it, hawks and eagles will expel their whitewash like this, (and will back up to the edges of their nest to do it), whereas Owls will just drop and plop. so when you see bright whitewash on the ground, you can tell who might have left it, if it's in a pile or a string! (Just in case you ever wanted or needed to know that)
- The Equestrian Vagabond

CDH said...

Great pics. What good good dogs! Amazing how close you can get to things on a horse. Pretty scenery too.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I want to come to your house beautiful mountains, eagles, horses, and border collies not to mention good company with you. See you in a bit:)B

Montanagirl said...

Beautiful Header; wonderful photos and I love the videos. There's nothing prettier than a running horse (esp. yours! They're so beautiful). I can't seem to upload videos anymore either.

John and Regina Zdravich said...

How absolutely cool this post is! isn't it just too fun to watch the horses run and play? How nice you have enough room for them to do that. I know some people who keep horses in places so small that they cannot run -- I find that so sad. Also loved the pics of the eagle -- your view of the mountains is great. So happy for you!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

those boys have some moves!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good dogs..great photos!! That new camera of yours is great! :)