Monday, February 18, 2013

Schooling Rio, continued

The focus for our last training session was to improve Rio's leading manners. Since he'll be shown at halter in the local shows this year, he has to have nice manners.
He is feeling pretty full of himself, and it was a lot of work to get him to pay attention and only go the speed and direction we were asking for.
Shayla is asking him to trot here, and you can see the resistance in the raised head and tail swishing.

He would trot a few steps, then try to speed up and blow past her. (Bad Rio!)
Which, being a big strong horse, he was fully capable of doing. 
I don't like having to brace against a horse, but it's pretty tough to keep up with him and bring him softly back to a nice trot. We tried a few options, but it seemed to be mostly an attitude problem, so I decided to discipline him a bit. Now before I get snarky comments on this, let me remind you that Rio is a stallion, and misbehavior is not allowed as it will escalate if not nipped in the bud. Think testosterone. 
What I did was bring out a stock whip, and every time he leaped forward, he got a smack on the hip, and wasn't allowed to stop- because what he was doing was blowing out like this, and then facing up and stopping. So we worked on keeping him moving and not worrying about form. A couple of sweaty humans and one sweaty horse later, he was starting to get it. He soon realized that it stung to blow out on us, and that every time he trotted right beside us he got to stop and rest. 
One thing that really helped was to go straight across the middle of the round pen, with the far side as a visual barrier, rather than the endless circle. 
Today he gets worked again, and then I'll be trimming his feet. 
Some other exciting news is that Nitro's owner has asked Shayla to show Nitro in the halter classes this year too- very cool! So little Nitro got started on his first lesson too.
Smart boy, he picked up the cues quickly. 

He looks pretty good in Shayla's show halter too.
Hopefully by May all the winter fuzzies will be gone!

12 comments:

cheyenne jones said...

Things going well, looks good, discipline is good for them, cant let them run over you.

Unknown said...

I agree with Cheyenne, no snarky comments here, discipline absolutely vital in all horses, not just stallions. Although I agree that with a stallion the necessity doubles. That is a big old hunk of testosterone to keep under control!
He looks good.

Mary Ann said...

Good on Shayla! Nitro looks gorgeous, winter fuzzies and ALL!

Janice said...

You won't get any snarkies over here.You got a big Awww when I saw the last pic of Nitro.....that head!!!!!

Sarah said...

they both look great, as usual! I look forward to seeing pictures of them as they begin their show careers! And no snarky comments. I enjoy the lessons on giving lessons. It helps me.

Anonymous said...

Good leading and ground manners are absolute essentials in my book, for stallions or any other horse. And not that many horses have them, either - that's the fault of the people training and handling them. Getting that instilled from the beginning is so important - good for you for making sure he didn't start to establish any bad habits in that department. And Nitro looks adorable . . .

Montanagirl said...

Lots of work, those horses! Nitro's profile in the last shot is just really nice! The colors of the halter really look smart on him.

Linda said...

No snarkies from here either. When I went to that Adiva Murphy clinic last fall she taught me a LOT about halterbreaking and teaching a horse to lead properly. I'd love to get a couple young ones just to practice on. He's looking great b.t.w.!

Janice Grinyer said...

WOW Shirley! Spring has sprung at your place and more ways then one; lots and lots of horsework going on!

and even with all the normal horse behavior (uhm, dont they all start out as pistols and then get smarter? we better hope so! LOL)

Congrats!

lisa said...

Shayla is doing a great job, you are lucky to have her!

Boss Mare Eventing said...

Nitro just looks adorable!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

no harsh words here, a little sting from a stock whip doesn't compare to the damage they can do to you and themselves if they get out of control