I spent the last weekend attending a Bruce Koch clinic over at Janice's. Once again, I am impressed with this instructor, and how both horses and riders make improvements every day. From bossy dominant horses who push their owners around, to nervous horses, to horses who have little hissy fits when they are pushed to not be lazy, everyone made vast improvements. Without boring you with details, I'll just say I was impressed enough to book Josie in with him for next year. She will have 2 months of basic training with him, and some light riding from me once she comes back. Here are some of my fave photos from the clinic.
This is a Beamer daughter: she went from being petrified of the flag, especially above her.....
to standing quietly right next to it, even though she didn't actually touch it. This was a huge improvement.
This 17 hh draft/thoroughbred cross complained when pushed, but her girl worked her through the issues and got some nice work done.
Look how precise she is in foot placement:
This next horse was dominant over his owner, basically flipped her off and did what he wanted.
At this point, he had just blown out and refused what he was being asked- I believe it was something simple like moving in a circle and then yielding his hip- a very resistant horse who was used to getting his way. We weren't sure his owner would even get on him- but it all came together with consistent handling and patience on Bruce's part.
By Sunday afternoon, he was relaxed and his owner was actually enjoying riding him for the first time in a year or more.
Then there was the big blue Percheron/quarterhorse cross. He was ok until he was pushed, kind of like the paint mare but more aggressive in his resistance.
He is a powerful horse, but he didn't intimidate his rider, a young gal from Australia. She just kept on working him and did really well.
Of course, at lunch time we had a little light entertainment from Dave's golden labs, older dog Tucker and pup Gus.
I hope Janice does a post on the clinic, her blog is Own A Morgan & QH
8 comments:
Oh man, that Beamer daughter, sooo pretty!
^^ That Beamer daughter made me swoon, as well. So gorgeous. You can really see Beamer in her. Sounds like an awesome clinic - love watching big strides being made in situations like that.
Sounds like a great clinic! Beamer's daughter is gorgeous!!
Sounds like a fantastic clinic, thats what I need to take Dee to, of course shes not bad but it would give me a good place to get started.
That trainer sounds awesome! What a fun clinic to attend when you can see results within a day or two:)
It's amazing what groundwork can really accomplish and how well it translates to under saddle.
Looks like everyone made a lot of progress--a sign that the clinic was awesome! I see why you liked it.
Hello,
I've been lurking through your blog here and there! I just love that bay; she sure is gorgeous (she almost looks like a Morgan) ;).
Post a Comment