Thursday, June 11, 2015

My ad



Here is the text of the ad I put on Facebook.




I think all the good broke mares are either in the show ring, or retired to broods- because I just can't find one. I do have criteria- MUST be a registered Quarter horse, must be a mare- NO geldings. I'm picky about bloodlines, disposition and age. I live in southeastern BC, so I'd like find a horse within a 5 hour drive, so northern Alberta doesn't work. I like the cow bloodlines and if there is some run in there that's ok too- but no Hancock, Two Eyed Jack or Impressive please (just my personal preference). Ages 4 to 12 preferred. My budget will depend on the quality of the horse, which will be used for Cowboy Dressage, Cowboy Challenge, and trail riding in the mountains. I don't need fancy, I need sweet and kind, as I am also teaching my 3 nieces to ride. That being said, I am not looking for a kid's horse, per se, just one kind enough to help them learn to ride. PM me if you think you might have that perfect horse for me.


Of all the replies I got, there were 8 green horses, 11 horses that were out of budget (to be fair, I didn't put the dollar figure in there because then you get people trying to sell you their junk horses for your max budget), 2 horses that were too young, 3 horses that were too old, 3 Two Eyed Jack horses, 2 Hancock horses, 3 Impressive horses, 2 Appaloosas, 2 Paints, 2 that were too far away so I didn't ask for more info, and 4 that were unsuitable for various other reasons (dispostition, unregistered, etc.) I have messaged 2 people for more info on their horses and haven't heard back (including the bay mare in the previous post).


Now, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the other breeds or those bloodlines- but they are not what I want. I am a little bit spoiled because of how sweet Beamer is, and I want a stellar disposition like his.

I can wait for the right horse. It just means I won't have a horse to ride this year, and that is kinda sad! There is one more horse I am considering, she belongs to the daughter of Tracey Westbury of Mustang Diaries blog. She's a very cute little bay mare called Doxee. Only thing is, she is under 14 hh, but I have been following her on FB and know that I would like her. I hope to see her and try her out at the Buck Brannaman clinic next month, as she is close enough that they would haul her over for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard. I also avoid Impressive and also Hancock, although Red ended up being double Driftwood Ike - some difficult personalities in there but Red, although hard-headed, is also very sweet. And I've seen some very nice Hancocks - there was a big Hancock gelding at the clinic last weekend who was a real sweetheart. I had some luck with equine.com - not with "looking for" but rather doing an advanced search with my criteria. Found both Pie and Red that way.

Shirley said...

In Canada equine.com isn't so good because of the cost of importing and the difference in the dollar.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I feel your pain. I see people posting ISO (specific criteria) horses all the time and inevitably there are a dozen people responding with horses that are no where near the criteria listed. It's like they refuse to read OR they are just hoping that the person looking will completely disregard every criteria they listed and show some interest in their horse. Not likely!! LOL.

lisa said...

I wish you lots of luck on your search. It is so hard to find good horses, most people don't want to part with them once they have them.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Doxxee sounds nice:) It is a long process isn't it? Good luck Hugs B

Jen said...

Ours seem to multiply like coat hangers here (several "accidental" rescues among them ;o) Sure hope you get to see - and test drive - your "dream girl" at the clinic!