This is some of the folks who showed up for Ted's birthday party; we had a bonfire, plenty of food, lots of collies to throw the ball for including Tess's littermate Luke, and a Dairy Queen birthday cake:
Of course, I totally blew my diet for the occasion (I've lost 16 pounds, but don't dare weigh myself for a few days!). The weather held out; although it rained in the morning it cleared off and was lovely by the time the party got rolling. Since we're all old folks now, we wound it down around 10 PM. Thanks to all our friends and family from Alberta who spent a lot of hours on the road to make this a special day for Ted, and to everyone else who helped us celebrate!
Since we reconfigured the horse pens, I now have my round pen back, and I worked Chickory today. Threw the saddle on her, led her over to the pen, and longed her a little in the bosal (she is shedding caps now, so no bitting for a while). She worked just lovely, you'd never know it was August last year when she was last worked. Ted came along after a bit, and I got on her and had him lead her around. She is pretty cautious when I'm on her, I need to build her confidence and get her moving out freely. When I can get her moving out nicely at all gaits, and stopping and turning well, it will be time to move on to the big arena, and some trail riding. I might try ponying her from Gussie too.
Breeding season is done here, we bred Belle on Easter weekend, and Gussie May 12-16. So I really need to get Chickory going well this year, as Gussie gets next summer off. Beamer is still available for other mares, but I'm not really advertising especially with the EHV problem.
Ted got to see another littermate of Tess's today, this one I sold to a lady who is a caretaker for a mine that is shut down, and it's bear country; the dog, which she named Wallace, has done a good job of protecting her. There are feral cats there too, and apparently Wallace thinks it's his job to round them up and keep an eye on them.
11 comments:
Sounds like Ted had a lovely party! Love the cake too, the hubby had his 50th last year. Good for you on the weight loss! I keep telling myself I need to do the same thing but so far don't want to try that hard at it.
Sounds like a great party ! I have been pretty quiet about advertising for outside mares as well , don't need the additional risks this year
Lisa, I just cut out sugar, starchy vegetables, and flour. For the first two weeks, no fruit or coffee, which jumpstarted the weight loss. I'm slowly losing, about a pound or two a week; I need to lose another 5-10 and then I should be able to level off. It sure is nice to be able to fit in some of the clothes I had in the back of the closet!
Wow, I need a Wallace! What a good boy! Congrats on the weight loss. That's an amazing accomplishment!!!
Glad the weather cooperated... rain can put such a damper on festivities...
ahem.. i gained back 5 pounds:D not smoking makes me quite umm, hungry:D hee hee:D happy 50th ted!
Sounds like a fun birthday party!
Glad Chicory is coming along good. When I had my horses teeth done, Kali has lost all her caps, and Dinero has one left. Sure makes a difference in horses born earlier (Kali was born Feb 1)
Was Wallace a litter out of Tess with Abby? If so wow he has some hair!!! Mine must be a through back ha ha ha poor Abby
Happy Belated Birthday, Ted!
Looks like you throw a good party if people are willing to drive far ;) Shirley...
What fun you are having working everyone out. Im trying not to let the green envy monster get the best of me. That Rio sure still looks nice...But we couldnt do his good looks and breeding justice; we cant buy a baby because we just dont have a set up like we did in Wisconsin; there I could have babies - here theres no arena, no round pen, no safe baby proof fencing and too much time away from home for work this year to leave him alone with the others ... :(... I hate when Mr. Forestermans's reasonable...sigh.
BUT he will make a nice colt for someone - come on people, this guy has got promise!
Happy Birthday Ted! Blogger wouldn't let me comment at all yesterday.
Jenn, Wallace and Tess are full brother and sister out of Reba's second litter.
Post a Comment