Monday, May 2, 2011

Rio at 3 weeks




Rio turned 3 weeks old yesterday, and he's growing up to be a big strong and well behaved boy. Except when he discovers the electric fence isn't working, and then the mares discover it, and then I have electric fence tape spread all across the middle of my pasture! Ted tweaked the ground rod as it was rusty, but it still isn't working right- Rio was chewing on the tape again last night and not getting zapped. So I guess I'll have to get my tester out today and see if there is any power at the source; it's clicking like it is supposed to and I sure hope I don't have to buy a new unit.
He licks this wall.

We had a lovely sunny weekend, and on Saturday we butchered Url, so next Saturday we'll spend cutting and wrapping. Looks like we will have some good beef to serve for Ted's birthday party this month- Sunday May 22 we celebrate because his birthday is on a Wednesday, and the 22nd is the long weekend. We have family coming from Alberta, it will be a good time-hope the weather is good!. The local asparagus will be available, so that will be on the menu too. 


11 comments:

Judy said...

He is a beautiful boy...you'll have lots of fun in the future with him...

lisa said...

He sure has grown in the last three weeks. We did our beef last weekend and had our first steaks on the grill Saturday night!

Crystal said...

mmm beef. Rio sure looks good, he is sure cute with those two tall white socks in the back :)

Michelle said...

So cute!! I love babies!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Sounds like a yummy birthday dinner ,what time should I be there??LOL Rio is looking great

Ed said...

He is a goofy lil' colt and filling out well..:-)

Sarah said...

Goodbye Url! Puts me in mind of that Dixie Chicks song. Rio is a doll, but it sounds like he's the adventurer, tasting all those strange things!

Susan said...

Yea, we go round and round with electric wire also. It sure doesn't take them long to realize when there's a short. Can't wait to hear how the beef tastes. Tom and I had T-bone steaks for lunch today.

5 Starr's Farm said...

He is really cute. Really liked your rust shots, clever! We use to butcher all the time when the kids showed market animals....always raised an extra lamb or steer for home. Good Stuff!

Michele said...

i looooove asparagus! i used to work at the asparagus field in creston. as well as at the strawberry field near sunset motel :) so yeah, those are really fresh from the farm! the only way to have it! lol at rio for licking the wall :D hee hee:D

Janice Grinyer said...

Birthday bashes, esp. like the one youre planning, are the best!

Rio...sigh, Rio...Cant convince the Foresterman that we should buy this colt...Although I thought I saw a post saying "pending". Whoever buys him is going to get a good horse out of it - the genetics and potential just oozes out of this little guy, and he is going to be that "once in a lifetime" horse for someone...and now he's in with the mares, who will teach him herd dynamics too - just a good all around beginning for him.