Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Back home, and Chickory

We had a wonderful trip to Kamloops to visit family, including my brother, sister and her family, and step mom. Dad really enjoyed getting out and being with family. I took lots of photos to share with family, and one I'm going to use for next weeks Sunday Stills, close-ups. Thanks everyone for your prayers and well-wishes.

The fellow came over to see Chickory, and rode her; he gave me permission for photos.
This trainer has a nice soft way about him, and Chickory responded well to him. 
He even got her to lope a few strides- first time with a rider on her back:
For him, she has two things that are strikes against; she's really green, and she's a mare, both of which make it hard for him to sell. He'd have to put at least a month of steady riding on her to get her going well, as what he does is train and sell horses. I got the usual comment, "too bad she's not a gelding" to which I always reply "it takes good mares to make good geldings". At least he knows she's out there and perhaps he'll find someone who'd like a little cutting bred mare. Meanwhile, I'll keep working with her and riding her, as I really do like her despite her silly can't-catch-me game. Now that she's loped once, it shouldn't be an issue with her. I asked him what he thought I should work on, and he said to just get her soft with the bridle, and get some lateral work done. A lot of that can be done from the ground first, so it's something I can work on when the weather is not so great for riding.


10 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

I'm a mare person, usually. Voodoo gets silly and thinks he's Mr Macho Studly Stud around mares so until he's gone no more mares (and I've no plans to part with that boy in the near future)
Mr Tim, who we got Appyjack & Voodoo from, is a dealer too. He'll buy horses that need some work and resell them and like your guy he normally doesn't buy mares. I guess when you've got a group of constantly changing horses its just easier to deal with geldings.

Michele said...

awww: dad looks good, but you can tell he is frail. his dog is a cute little thing isn't he? :)

Jenn said...

She sure is a good lookin little mare. All she needs is a pile of wet saddle pads and I'm sure she'll be fabulous!

I've never been a one gender over another kind of horse person...bad horses come in both male and female, as do good ones. They just take different approaches to reach the same goal!...hmmm...kinda like men and women!

Emme said...

I always think "one mare is not an issue, but two is a whole herd!" Our mare is fabulous, no mood disorders at all, but I think she will be our only one. LOL

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Nive that you had a good weekend with your dad, and family. As for Chickory , she sure looks good under saddle.I don't buy the old predjudice against mares either , but I guess enough people do that he may be right ,she could be a harder sell.Send him the pics of him on her , they look good together

Janice said...

Glad you had a good visit. He does look good on her I hope he looks that good on Jade....better yet I hope he makes her look and act good!.

cheyenne jones said...

Give me mares every time! the cheek!

Geldings are fine, but a mare will always give more, when asked,

Linda said...

I always thought mare were a cut above but alas it's all geldings around here now too.

Jake said...

Mare or gelding it doesn't matter to me as long as I'm horseback. : )

Janice Grinyer said...

Mares and geldings on a working ranch in general make for a bad mix - too much drama, which can upset the cows, which means you lose $$$ which means no Christmas presents for your family. or worse. The working ranches in our neck of the woods have geldings only.

Chicory looks like she would pass on some great traits; she moves well, and she certainly has a pretty head!

And Im so glad that you got to spend time with your Dad, Shirley - giving your heart and mind a little peace on things :) and you will have beautiful photos to remember the memories by !