Friday, August 26, 2011

Stock Dog Trials

It couldn't have been a better day for the Stock Dog Show- the sunshine was softened by a few clouds, and there was a little breeze too.The setting was absolutely gorgeous. Here is a video of the 360 degree view.
The big mountain peak that you can see from Janice's place, that is featured in her sunrise and sunset photos, Fisher Peak, was just beautiful.
Janice and I got to watch the open class. The sheep were 400 yards from the handler; the dog was to do an outrun, then lift the sheep and start them on a straight line to the handler (the fetch) taking them through two gates. The gates were just white fence panels, set widely apart.
Then around the handler, and start the drive, diagonally away from the handler, through one set of panels, then across the field and through another set of panels, back to the handler. The next element is the split, in which the handler separated two of the sheep and the dog drives them away from the remaining sheep. Then, on into the pen.
We didn't see anyone get all of the elements completed in the 12 minute time limit, but apparently Dennis Gellings and his dog Jan did. We left before all the dogs had competed though.
Unfortunately, Penny didn't have the greatest day with Quill and Moss. On the fetch Quill wouldn't take the commands, and seemed to be a little off, not running at his usual speed, so Penny stopped the run.
Penny and Quill, waiting their turn.
And with Moss, he got a little frustrated with the sheep and gripped- an automatic disqualification.

Here are some of the competitors:

Gayle and her dog Meg at the pen.

Tuck trying hard to turn the sheep, who were determined not to go in the pen.

Maid on the fetch heading for the handler, Glen.

Joanne and Mik, who were successful in penning this bunch.

Mik cooling off in the water tub after his run- well done, Mik!

Dennis's second dog, Jake, bringing them in for the split.

Chris and her dog Jill working the split.

Joanne and her second dog, Soot, at the pen. Here is why he is named Soot:
His face looks like it's covered in soot. Doesn't he have the longest tongue!

Moss waiting his turn....
and Moss going in for the grip.
All in all we really enjoyed watching. Janice is planning on going again, as the competition is on until Sunday, so check her blog for more photos. I'm not sure if I can make it back there, but I'm sure glad I went and plan on voulunteering the next time the show is held there. Such a beautiful place!
The sheep wagon set up for the judge, Mr. Faansie Basson from South Africa.

Once again.... the beautiful view.

12 comments:

Mary said...

Such wonderfully smart dogs. It always fascinates me the way a dog really does have inate traits already there, and truly enjoy their jobs.
Such a lovely place.

Michele said...

all in all. looka like it was a great time!

Crystal said...

Looks like a fun day, That Soot sure does look like soot all over him!

Janice said...

Nice shots mine didn't turn out to well but I'm working on a post as I type.

Jake said...

I have always wanted to go see a working dog show. Look really cool.

Margaret said...

Wow. I'm looking at my dogs laying on my feet... they can't even imagine working that hard... I'm impressed. Stunning views of the land...

Jenn Williams said...

WOW I noticed Moss right away it really is like looking at Abby thats so creepy! lol

Sherry Sikstrom said...

What a great day! so is "gripping " biting?

Dreaming said...

Oh, I so want to do this with our dog. I'd love to see him work - that's what he was bred for.

It looks like great fun and what a way to 'test' your dog! IMHO far better than a breed show where only the build and movement is judged... this way they have to show their brains as well!

Shirley said...

Sherry- yes, gripping is when they go in and take hold of the sheep.

Tom in Vegas said...

If anyone has any doubts about the intrinsic beauty of Canada, they should visit your blog (or Canada).

allhorsestuff said...

Wow, that is so awesome! Loved all the dogs working and doing what they were born to do!
What a fantastic day and such beauty there to behold!