The last two nights I've been riding Chickory in the round pen. I'm working on getting her softer in the face and more responsive to the leg. I start on the ground, ask her to tip her nose towards the stirrup, which she does, and holds it there on a loose rein until I ask her to straighten. Then I ask for hip over, and shoulder over, and then both at once (sidepass) .She's getting it; a little uncertain of the shoulder over, but she learns really fast. After working both sides from the ground, I get on, loosen her up a little at the walk and trot, then ask her for hip over, etc. the same way I do on the ground. I want to get so that I can put her in a 20 ft. circle and push her in or out of the circle with my legs, without losing the size of the circle. She has a tendency to cut inside when we go to the right, doesn't want to just follow the fence line but fades in to the center, so I'm pushing her out with my leg and really fighting myself because I don't want to put pressure on both reins just yet and it's so natural on a broker horse to just pick up both reins and move the shoulder over. Gotta retrain myself, let alone the horse!
Over all, I'm happy with her. She learns quick, isn't stubborn (except about that catching thing!) and has lots of try. And, she has a nice smooth trot.
I measured her the other day; she stands exactly 14.2hh. At 3 years old, she should only have a little growing left to do, probably will finish out under 14.3hh. She is for sale, if anyone wants a prospect for cutting, penning or sorting, that's what she's bred to do.


9 comments:
Sounds like she is coming along nicely .And she sure is a gorgeous girl! HArd to catch isn't a deal breaker for a lot of people either.
She's a beautiful horse...and so young still. I've always found that they don't really come into their own until about age 5.
She sure is a nice looking horse and sounds like you are doing a great job with her!
She sounds nice, too bad I have too many now or I would snap her up.
You have to like it when they have a lot of try. I have too many now.
Yea, she makes me drool a little. Darn I am such a sucker for a dun...and especially a dun mare(filly).
I'd offer to trade you the paint gelding I am putting back together and the big bay, but I think you would get the short end of the stick on that deal. ;-)
chickory is a pretty horse. whomever gets her is lucky. God bless you!
She's cute to boot!
Nice build & mind on Chickory, she is sure to find a good home!
Post a Comment