Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The 12 O'Clock Dog

At first glance, you'd think this post is about the horses, but actually it's about Reba. When I go do chores, she is my constant companion. She's right there, making sure they behave. Tess, on the other hand, tends to work from farther away; she has a big outrun, and is more biddable and more likely to wait to see what I want instead of working close in like Reba does.
Reba always balances at the 12 o'clock position, no matter which way I turn.

Which is why I call her the 12 o'clock dog.
She always grabs a mouthful of whatever is handy, usually grass or sticks, it seems she can't work without something in her mouth. If she was human I'm sure she would be a smoker!
Sometimes it backfires, and the hunter becomes the hunted....
and then discretion is the better part of valor and it's time to beat a hasty retreat.
I have used her to move cattle and she will get in close and work them when she is asked, but like a good li'l collie she'd rather bring them to me than drive them away.
She will be 11 years old this September, and she is fit and active. I wish I could get another litter from her, she only had 2, but she doesn't come in heat any more, too old I guess.

11 comments:

Janice said...

She cracks me up with whatever she finds to pack around in her mouth...her daughter Belle does the same thing.

lisa said...

That is so nice to have a companion, my black lab has to be tied because he likes to run off but our red heeler always stays close by and loves to go along!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

She sure looks good, love that hse has to have a "soother" rminds me of my old Sunshine horse , good as gold , but had to have a little something straw or grass to suck on whe she was young

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Gonna make a request here, I know Beamer did have some professional training and I assume competed, but I would like you to tell us a little more about his history (unless you already did and I missed it )

Dreaming said...

Great pictures! I laughed at Reba needing something in her mouth. We had an Aussie that had to have his "Roo-Roo Rag" in order to say, "Good Morning" to us. He'd run around looking for something to pick up; a sock, a ball, the kids' underwear. Then he'd bark... but it came out "Roo, Roo, Roo"
When we took Tucker for evaluation the trainer was saying that Aussies like to drive the stock and Border Collies like to bring stock to you. Reba is showing that tendency, for sure!

Ed said...

She's got talent..:-)

Sarah said...

What a sweet girl! I love watching the colts play with the dog. Sometimes I'm not sure who enjoying it the most. They just seem happy to have someone to play with.

Susan said...

Tom had an Austrian Shepard that was the same way.

Crystal said...

Very cute, nice that she backs off rather than tries to herd the horses. I hate it when people let thier dogs bite at thier horses feet.

5 Starr's Farm said...

It's sure nice to have a dog to hang out with..................

Fantastyk Voyager said...

My Sandy likes to pester the herd. She chases at them and Yalla! turns and chases her back. Reba looks like a super companion.