was forget about the lawn- time to ride!Saddled up Gussie and went for our longest ride of the season- she's still way out of shape, so only a couple of miles out then back. About half of the way we walked in a plowed field, so that was extra exercise for her chubbiness.
She was reasonably good except on the way back she got a little het up and opinionated, only to find that it meant extra work; such as two track, sidepass, stop and back up, ride circles, etc. So pretty soon we resumed a nice long strided walk the rest of the way home. It did get me a little anxious for a moment because the last time she got opinionated, I ended up on the ground (last October) and this big mare can be quick when she wants to be. But, she got over it and all was well.
I felt pretty secure in this saddle too, it's perfect for her. It comes with tapaderos that I'm going to put leather conditioner on and then put them on.
I trimmed her front feet again after the ride, she is growing pretty fast in the soft moist ground here. Hosed the sweat off her, and of course she rolled as soon as I turned her loose. I have plans to take the rasp to Nitro's feet this weekend, if I can get Ted to help. He's 2 and a half months old now.


10 comments:
I rode to day too! (0: Wish I had that field for Fiona, she and Remi have decided that the are besties and can't be apart from one another. Silly horses...
Good for you! Lawn work will always be there ;) I hate that moment of fear when you are not sure how they are gonna react, but glad she was good for you. I mostly trust my riding horses now, but occasionally still get that moment.
I'm glad your ride went well. Yes... those 'opinionated' horses present their own challenges!
happy that the ride was good :) pretty gussie girl! can't wait to see her foal! hope it looks like velvet!
Good girl! Glad you went for a ride
Glad your ride went well and safe. Your flowers are beautiful.....
She's beautiful! I love how all your shots have a dog in them. :)
I need to do the same with Annie, I rode her a couple of weekends ago but she and I both need to get mored riding done to loose some of the bellies ;)
Nice looking mare.
She looks good Shirley! Glad she didn't send you on a spill and came around to reason quickly. I guess we all get a little oppinionated on occasion, even the four legged friends.
Post a Comment